New Iphone in October

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevken, Aug 30, 2008.

1. stevken macrumors member

Is there any truth in the rumour of a new 32gb iphone coming in October??

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I have no way of knowing but I would say no. I wouldn't expect to see one until next year. The reason why the iPod touch has one is because it has memory slots to hold 2x16GB chips, where the iphone would have to hold 1x32 chip. 32GB chips are still very expensive, so I would say early 2009 at the earliest.

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

4. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

As many have said in the 50 other threads on this subject, it's not going to happen. There is no way that Apple is going to announce an upgrade less than 90 days after releasing a product. Especially one that is experiencing some troubles such as the iPhone 3G is having. Such a decision would go down as one of the biggest business blunders of all times as it would severely anger a large percentage of Apple's loyal customer base. They can't afford to make such a mistake 2 years in a row (think 2007 price reduction).

In addition to those reasons, the cost of 32GB NAND chips is still too high to introduce at this time. IIRC, the cost is substantially more that the cost of 2 16GB NAND chips. As the iPhone only has space for a single NAND chip (Touch has room for two), the price of such a device would just be too high.

5. stoich macrumors member

The cost of the chip has nothing to do with it. Apple doesnt launch something when they finally have the technology. I have spoken directly to 5 different people who work for apple at a corporate level. All have said the same thing that apple is 5 years ahead of themselves as far as the technology is concerned its all about marketing to them. A good analogy would be they are 10 stairs up in the technology we are on the 5th stair with the new 3g iPhones. They will always be a couple steps ahead.

I can definatey see them launching it before Christmas this year. But only if the current line isn't generating the numbers they desire. We'll just have to wait and see as always lol

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

The bottom of the iPhone only has one speaker.

7. Spongey817 macrumors regular

And no, there is no MMS app in the app store.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I hope not, b/c I'm tied into this contract with my current subsidized 3G iPhone for 24 months X 5...:eek:

9. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Huh? You totally lost me.

Cost is a huge factor as it is in every business. You can choose to believe that or not, that's fine. Price however affects demand. The higher the price of an item, the lower the demand. And if you think cost and marketing are not integrally related you are sorely mistaken.

ETA: And there's no copy/paste either.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, but see, even if a 32GB iPhone dropped tomorrow, that doesn't mean your 16GB will suddenly cease to work. If the 16GB was good enough for you today, it'll still be good to go tomorrow. Right?

Besides, think of all the future 32GB owners who will throw a fit when the 64GB one comes out. By then you should be at least 18 months into your contract and upgrade-elligible again. :D

11. sh0ckerturb0 macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

LOL

12. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Very true. I wouldn't be angry about the capacity issue if Apple did this as I believe the increased cost would not be worth it for me. However, I would be angry with Apple that this would be an indication that they are not focusing on getting some of the kinks worked out of what they have already released.

I myself have not had any major issues with my iPhone 3G, however, there are some issues and changes that really do need to be addressed (and no I'm not talking about copy/paste, MMS or the likes).

13. svndmvn Guest

what about the top or the sides of the iPhone?or the back,actually

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

If Apple releases the software so that you can play your home iTunes library anywhere on WiFi, EDGE, or 3G - space becomes irrevelent... :eek:

15. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I'm still pissed the Memo yesterday clearly started there would be pie. :mad:

No Punch and no pie... :mad:

16. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

Clearly Cynicalone the meeting has not yet concluded. Punch and pie always come at the end of the meeting. Since you have failed to demonstrate the required patience to earn your share of refreshments there will be no punch and pie for you. :eek:

17. stevken thread starter macrumors member

New Iphone in October

o2 in UK would do an upgrade path to any new iphone I would expect.

Is it possible to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB by purchasing the requided hardware.

Maybe one day we will see slot for memory card:)

I toyed with purchasing a 16GB iphone and selling my 8GB but prices being asked on Ebay UK are around £550 and as much as I love my iphone, I wouldnt pay that!!

18. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

You mean like when apple announced a huge price cut within 90 days of when the first iPhone release? Is that kind of like the "biggest business blunder" you are talking about?

19. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

That was my point. If they did something like that again this year it would be an even bigger blunder given the backlash they had last year. It would lead people to believe Apple has some serious issues because as has often been said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

20. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

21. Spongey817 macrumors regular

Simplify Media does this.

22. stoich macrumors member

Atomization Possibility

Eventually memory on a phone is going to become irrelevant. I have heard of this technology where supposedly they are working on spliting an atom at a microscopic level and I guess somehow you can achieve "unlimited memory" they call it atomization. Right now its at a scientific level. But they say it can be done. All I know is when that is possible I will be buying that Iphone FOR SURE!! and then well thats the end of the iphone haha

23. cobaltchroma macrumors regular

cobaltchroma

....wtf?
    if you split an atom you go BOOM!
    and thats that.

24. stoich macrumors member

Hey thats just what ive been told by a couple "really" smart people lol. It may be false but its kind of like the split brain paradox scientists have been dwelling on for a long while. Its kind of like a continous reincarnation of information which therefor gives you "unlimited' memory. Not sure how it can be controlled or done artificially but its in the works. So we will see probably somewhere around 2050 haha Ill repost on this thread again then and we can talk more :p

25. Mr. Brown macrumors member

This would be too soon.

640k ought to be enough for anybody.