new iphone info but still no mms....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dudeofblokes, Mar 6, 2008.

1. dudeofblokes macrumors regular

carrickfergus, northern ireland, united kingdom
    the new features due to arrive on the iphone are sounding good, but seeing as a legit source for mms hasnt been announced i tink its safe to assume we will not be getting mms support from apple, which is a pity i know there are some ways around it and some are hit and miss and usually require a jailbreak iphone, it would have been nice to see it officially supported.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

MMS is not necessarry. Just have those people sending you media to MMS it to your e-mail, and you e-mail to their MMS e-mail address.

The SDK will hopefull allow someone to do this, just so this madness can end.

TEG

4. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i guess but.....

im on o2 in the uk and they claim that its apple who wont support it after all o2 would make more money with it, i know we can get pics but not everyone has there phone set up for email here due to costs so its a bit hard we cant send pics as easy

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

They don't have to have their phone set up for email. Instead of putting your phone number in the MMS application, they would just put your email address.

6. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

yeah but...

wat about replying to them tho, with no email how can i send a pic to them?

7. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

and the problem is, what am i gonna do, message all my contacts and say, hey if u ever want to send me a pic send it to here, they want the easiest way to send it to me and i want the easiest way to get it. it should have to be a roundabout way

8. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

i agree....

i love my iphone tho i dont start using it to my current contract ends out at start of next month, but mms is a let down as i use it alot, not fair to put others out

9. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

Considering how many of them might not even have email on their phones, much less know how to set it up or much with anything, and my having to go through sixty some contacts, calling/texting them and asking who their provider is, finiding out which providers won't block them, etc....not a viable solution.

Especially considering that sending pics via email to my friend's iphone, and her to my iphone, has only a 75% success rate...

10. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

What costs? :confused:

11. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

operator fees....

all the uk networks charge for data downloads which is exactly what getting email on your phone is, so its not everyone that gets free data allowance, o2 and orange cost a fortune to connect and download.

12. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

Im wondering if they MMS feature has to do with being able to store full quality pics on the ipHone. Sending one of those to another phone would be difficult unless you downscaled them on the fly. But the iPhone would have to do that and be more processor taxing. Just a thought.

13. Shap macrumors member

Data charges, like tmobile charges for data use, ATT adds that $20 a month for data package... Believe it or not, most people still have a basic phone and when they send me a photo and ask if I got it. I have to say, no my iphone cant accept MMS messages, sorry. Try connecting your phone to your computer then email me the photo. There response is always, what that thing can't even get mms photos? Its a basic feature, just give us the damn option atleast!

14. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

i dont know one person who uses MMS more than once a month..

15. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

but.....

the likes of nokias eg the n95 5 meg phone and every sony ericsson automatically resize the pic for mms so it wouldnt be hard to do.

16. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i dont use it much but thats only because i dont have the ability to. if i could, i would a lot more. and just because you dont know anyone doesnt mean that people dont do it. maybe you need to get some different friends, ;)

17. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

lmao....

i was just about to say something like that.... in the words of meatloaf you took the words right out of my mouth lol

all im trying to say is that after all the announcements today with firmware 2.0 and the sdk kit if apple havent listened by now i dont think its gonna come, not by them anyway

18. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

Is there a list of features for 2.0 available? I only heard him identify a couple of things that would be included in that release, but not necessarily everything. In my opinion, it's way too soon to be speculating about what they will and will not include.

Lisa

19. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

If they send you an MMS, you will have the email address to reply to. They would receive it as an MMS. It would count as an MMS message to their carrier (not an email) for billing purchases. I know this works with almost all US carriers, but I'm not sure about o2. It's worth trying.

20. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

im just going by the info from macrumors gave....

and the fact that mms wasnt mentioned seeing as the amount of info on this site and all over the net is huge it would have been a vocal point surely.

21. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

out of curiousity....

in america do you get charged for recieving mms or sms?

22. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

They only discussed enterprise-related features of the 2.0 release at today's event. I'm sure there will be plenty of consumer features.

My guess is that Apple won't release an MMS app, but someone will start developing one today - to be ready in June.

23. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

There is usually a minimal charge ($0.25) unless you have a plan that includes messaging.

24. dudeofblokes thread starter macrumors regular

u get charged ekkkk......

in the uk we dont get charged for recieving, way we see it is we didnt send it so why charge us..... oh thats nasty

25. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

In MMS and SMS, you can change the To: field to an e-mail address and it works. Once you send an e-mail to their carrier's MMS email reception system, when they reply via MMS, it will send it to your email.

TEG