"New iPhone"/"iPhone Nano" Search Sticky

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Dmac77, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Would it be possible to have a sticky in all of the iPhone forums that has links to MRoogle searches about "New iPhones" and the "iPhone Nano". So other members, and I do not shoot ourselves when we see the next one?

Just wondering,

Don

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Nice idea. Those repetitive threads are pissing me off.

3. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Agreed. Probably give links to existing threads too.

4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Not trying to be pessimistic but Stickies in general don't really seem to do anything. I know I've overlooked Stickies myself only to go back later, see the Sticky, and realize what I did wrongly.

5. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Okay, then a combination of stickies, and deleted/wastelanded threads. If people make a new thread after having one deleted/wastelanded then put them in timeout.

Also I'll post the code for my signature, and people could then make it their signature. Anything to make these dang threads stop.

Don

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The problem is recognized but can't be solved entirely. We make some efforts to stem the flood of duplicative threads, including thread moderation and public and private reminders to members, but the members who join and immediately post the latest "overly popular" question without searching are often the same members who ignore the FAQ and sticky threads. We try to find the right balance between getting the word out and not annoying already-well-informed members with yet another plea. We also try to keep the number of sticky threads to a minimum so more active threads will show on portable displays.

7. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Thanks for the information. I'm just so annoyed by these threads. They'll die off eventually.

As to posting the code for my signature. When I try to post it, the forum doesn't show the code, just the end result. I'm not sure how to post it now.

Don

8. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Maybe for awhile.
    This rumor is about as old as the iPhone itself.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The trick is to put [noparse] and [/noparse] tags around it. You can quote this post (without submitting the reply) to see the syntax.

Dmac77's signature:

For "New iPhone"/"iPhone Nano" threads go to [URL="http://mroogle.*************/"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]M[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]R[/COLOR][COLOR="Green"]o[/COLOR][COLOR="Orange"]o[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]g[/COLOR][COLOR="Green"]l[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]e[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL], and search for them!!!

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Well perhaps adding

"Anti Virus - which one for Mac?"
    "Vista or XP for Bootcamp"
    and the dozens of common postings.

Or improve the search and make it more prominent.

By the way, when on macrumors.com, the search box seems to be for site news, but when on forums.macrumors.com, the search box is for the forums.

So macrumors.com search box should have 2 options
    - Search news
    Because some people are not as observent on cause and effect and may give up on searching if they think the macrumors.com search box results = forums.macrumors.com search box results.

11. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

This problem is getting out of hand, and it's not even spring yet.