New iPhone - Is it alright to use?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Malky, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Malky macrumors newbie

If I purchase a white 16GB 3GS from ebay, which is inside the packaging and hasn't been opened. I know it will be locked to O2 but will it be ok to use normally with an O2 pay and go sim? Will I still get all the features (with my BlackBerry I had to be on contract to use their internet network :mad:)? Also, what will the whole activation process be like? Sorry for the questions, they may sound a little but noobish but I want to know before I make the leap :p.

2. I'm 5 ft 8 macrumors regular

I'm 5 ft 8

My personal feelings on purchases from e-bay,is NOT TO DO IT. Sure, you might save a few bucks,but who do you go to if trouble surfaces ? In this case I would go to the Apple store or a reputable phone provider. Good luck. YMMV

3. Malky thread starter macrumors newbie

On most ones on eBay I see that are boxed, the seller states that you get a 12 month Apple warranty. I'm not sure though.

4. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Where are these phones coming from that they are able to offer a discounted price. If locked to O2 they are certainly UK sourced. Did Apple sell off any old stock ?

5. Malky thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure but there sure is a lot of boxed ones on eBay, they're probably unwanted gifts/upgrades.

6. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

You really need to check the source of the stock. If they really are unwanted upgrades/gifts then the warranty has already begun. And so, is not 12 months. Are you purchasing from a Power Seller?

7. Malky thread starter macrumors newbie

idham21 ( 757)

I'll ask him about the stock.

8. John T macrumors 68020

John T

With respect, and what good is that going to do you? How will you know if the seller is telling the truth? What is his feedback?

As has already been said - "buyer beware" when purchasing from eBay.

9. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

To go back to your first question, it will work with any activated O2 SIM, but you will not get the Visual Voicemail feature.

To get access to the internet via 3G, you'll need to have the web bolt-on.

10. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

To be honest as long as the seller has previous feedback of selling similar items and it is stated as being locked to o2, unopened and brand new and of course 12 months warranty from the purchase date (unlikely) you shouldn't really worry.

You can actually purchase 'iPhone' o2 SIM cards off eBay that have the free web and wifi bolt on for 12 months but the phones will work with any other o2 SIM card but you will have to pay for the data bolt on which currently is £10.99 (not to be confused with their £7.99 package)

If the seller has 0 feedback then dont buy it, if they have low/negative feedback about similar products dont buy it. Use your head. eBay isn't 'that' bad. I've so far purchased 3 iPhones from eBay and haven't had a problem with them. Also purchase upwards of 10 iPod Touchs from eBay with the same story. As long as the seller is respectable you shouldn't have a problem. You can always disput the item should it not be received as expected. E.G. Barred on UK networks, broken/damaged, not un-opened, not a UK iPhone etc. They are all grounds for misdiscription and can easily be disputed to allow for a full refund.

Good luck.