New iPhone - Is it enough?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhightinPhils26, Jun 14, 2008.

1. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Based on what we know, on July 11th we are all going to go out and buy a 2nd generation device and put more money in the pockets of AT&T and Apple. Sure, the price point is at about half of the original costs... but WILL IT BE WORTH IT?

Is the shoddy AT&T 3G, and the A-GPS enough of a leap forward to shell out extra money for a new iPhone? Sure, there is the App Store and all of the new apps we can download (purchase)... but everyone with an iPhone will be able to do the same thing.

I know they talked about a few other improvements, however, we all dealt with the lack of audio quality and the recessed headphone jack for almost a year now... I want to focus on the two main "upgrades"

Again, I ask... Is 3G and GPS enough for a revolutionary device?

2. honeycrisp macrumors regular

3. PhightinPhils26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Based on the price... so you feel $900 (max) is worth 3G and GPS?

4. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Coming from a 4GB scratched and dented iPhone to a iPhone 3G (my area is covered in 3G) that has good GPS, better audio quality and 16GB is a leap forward for me. I think $300 is justified, even though it is lacking features. So yes I am willing to shell out $300+ for this new device.

Also...what do you mean $900 max?? And it isn't just 3G and GPS on the phone, there are other hardware improvements too (the improved audio, flushed headphone jack, plastic back for better voice...)

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Don't forget that while 3G might not be that important to you, it is VERY important to those of us living in countries without EDGE - we're FINALLY getting the iPhone in Japan, for example, solely because it is a 3G model compatible with the local networks.

So to answer your question: absolutely, it's enough. 3G is a big deal when you look at it from an international point of view. ;)

6. PhightinPhils26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Excellent point. Internationally it's huge!

I am just objectively speaking... I am purchasing it... I just wanted to see what the general response was.

7. theRick119 macrumors member

it may or may not be enough for me.

I know the UI will be impossible to beat right now, but it isn't everything I wanted.

Bluetooth stereo and tethering, voice dialing and acceptance of 32gb removable memory has me now seriously weighing the pros and cons of the blackberry bold.

The screen is smaller which hurts, but it supports all the same media formats and is acceptable.

The UI and browser still have me leaning slightly iPhone as the app store announcements to this point have been underwhelming, but those blackberry advantages are tough to ignore based on my usage style

8. finfloyd macrumors newbie

I'm going to try and hold out for 32GB and a better camera. I'll stick with my 8GB until then.

9. The Phazer macrumors 68030

In the UK it is. Heck, even if you don't want it you may as well take the upgrade and sell it.

In the US probably not.

Phazer

10. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

I will be upgrading because of the price. The current iphones are selling for 300+ more if unlocked so I can sell mine, buy a 3g for less and pocket the rest of the money for the extra $10 monthly. I do really want GPS and 3g would be nice. Not everything I wanted but with the new lower price why not upgrade.

11. ICTUS TACTUS macrumors newbie

Apple is releasing a phone that is more affordable.

I really can't believe that the 3G release is intended to meet the demands of CURRENT iPhone users. That's what the 2.0 software update is for.

The iPhone is not the most widely-used phone on the market(wish as we may). It has to compete with BlackBerry. With this lower price, it will be able to put more iPhones in the hands of more consumers.

12. wako macrumors 65816

what do you want it to do? make you breakfast in the morning?

13. PhightinPhils26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

I agree with you.. It's going to put the device in more hands... however, with all these "extra users" don't you think Apple will be put on the hot seat to produce more BASIC features (such as the most whined about... MMS)?

I think in order for Apple to start making a bigger dent that they are going to have to step their game up and get the "basic" features out there, MMS, Copy Paste, Sync Tasks/Notes, etc.

I know with my blackberry I have all my passwords on my memo pad and it syncs wirelessly so those passwords are in my outlook... I really don't think it will take their best programmer/developers to come up with these things... hell... give it to the interns!!

14. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

Enough for me

It's enough for me. A year ago I knew the iPhone was going to be coming out, but really wanted the speed of 3G and GPS. Because the 1st gen didn't have it I ended up getting a Helio Ocean. I love the iPod/iPhone interface and all-around usual Apple polish, but w/o those features I decided not to get it.

I like the Ocean fine, it's a nice phone, relatively easy to use, with a few quirks but overall I enjoy it. However now that they've added 3G and GPS to the iPhone I will gladly go out and grab one.

The cost of my current plan to the new one will be almost identical, other than the fact that I get unlimited MMS with my current plan. Not a big deal though since I can just encourage friends to e-mail me vs use mms.

15. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

There is'nt a yes or no answer to this, for some it is worth it, for some it isn't, for some it's a 'it'll do'.
    I never had the 1st gen, my contract on ****** winmo phone finishes in 2 weeks time-ish, the contract price per month is the same as I am paying now, and the specs of the 2nd gen suit my needs just fine....I've also just bought a .mac account, and plan to buy an iMac at the same time as the iPhone, all these things will work together great, I'm as happy as a pig in s**t.

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yes, for me and the other (2) iPhone owners on my Family Plan. :p

17. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Considering the extra $25/month I'd be paying just to have the SAME data and text plan my current iPhone has, 3G and GPS are looking less and less appealing... which is a drag because I really, really wanted to want a new iPhone. :(

If 2.0 apps are as good as I hope then I will probably just wait 'till the third gen iPhone is released, with, hopefully, more powerful processing and a front mounted camera. :eek:

18. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

This one is evolutionary which is fair enough.

After the original Mac, did the ensuing model change the game again or just build on what came before it?

The original iPhone was a radical and revolutionary device and still is. Now Apple has addressed its greatest weaknesses..

• Edge upgraded to 3G
    • Software-based nature of unit finally leveraged by opening platform to developers (both iPhone 1 and 2)
    • Price
    • GPS made avaible to all apps
    • Better battery life (pretty bad on iPhone 1)

There is a lot to be pleased with here.

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent