New Iphone, junk free ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Abanziger, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Abanziger macrumors newbie

I just got a new iphone 6, upgraded from a worn down 4s. :) Now I have to set it up and I've realized there is a lot of junk that I have in my old phone that i don't necessarily want in my new one. I would like to set up my new iphone with
    as little junk from the old one as possible and have some questions. But first let me describe my current situation:

-My old iphone is synced up to a windows pc where i have my itunes music library and my phone back up saved.

-I now mainly use my MBP as my main computer and have decided that I want to sync up my new iphone 6 to my MBP. I'm aware that I will have to transfer the music from one pc to the other but that is not an issue since I can use this as a chance to also clean my music library from songs I dont want anymore etc.

-my Iphone 4s backup is also saved on the windows pc but I'm not interested in transferring all my app data, there are two things that I mainly care about:

1. Whatsapp conversations & groups. If I delete whatsapp from my 4s, instal it on the 6 and activate the SIM card on the 6 will I still be in the same whatsapp groups or will i get kicked out somehow?

2. Contacts: There are only SOME contacts that I want to transfer from my old phone to the new one, is there any way to selectively do this ?

What is the best way to do this?

Would this work??: Delete everything I dont want on my 4s (including music photos,apps, contact, etc), then do a new backup, save the backup on a memory stick, connect the memory stick to the MBP, connect to iphone 6, and instal the backup on the new 6.

Is it that simple? :D or is there another way to get my new iphone 6 working without getting junk form the old one ?

thanks in advance for any help

A

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Honestly, I'd just set it up as a new phone and start over with a clean slate.

3. Abanziger thread starter macrumors newbie

So you would type in each contact one by one ?

4. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

No, those are typicaly backed up in iCloud. I'd sync them and delete the ones you don't want.

I was really just referring to your other apps.

5. wolfaaron macrumors regular

Just set up the iPhone as a new phone and log in to iCloud to sync your contacts. Then just add the apps that you want and the music that you want and go from there. If you have any health data then you will have to enter those manually since Apple doesn't make it easy to restore that data unless it's from an encrypted backup.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

To me that "junk" can come in really handy. Being a business person and meeting and dealing with many people, I have found that junk in my phone has made me money. When I visit a current or prospective customer, I always made a few notes in their contacts, either via my phone or iPad.

After years of use a simple sipe down from the home screen and a search can turn up some great information, quickly. If it is a contact I know I will only use one time, I put "erase" in the contact so I can do a search for "erase" at a later date to decide if they are worth keeping.

Sorry about rambling on but starting new for me is not an option.

7. Abanziger thread starter macrumors newbie

well it depends what you classify as "junk" I had many contacts that were doubled, missing country prefixes or names that I just couldn't remember form nights out :D I agree that in a business context old contacts or other old documents my come on handy in the future again.

The solution was actually easier than expected, i'll write it down just in case anyone has the same problem in the future:

1. regarding contacts, just delete the ones you don't want in the old phone and log into icloud on the new one, check the contacts option and BAM they are on your new phone instantly

2. Whatsapp also lets you back up your current conversations and store them on the icould drive (ios 8) there is a similar option for ios 7 but you need to take into account the ios version of the new device since they both need to be running or ios 8 or ios 7... all this info is available on the whatapp FAQ section and the backup can be set up in the chat settings options inside the app itself

Thanks to all those that helped and gave suggestions!

A

8. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

With Apple you are never junk free

9. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

I used to downgrade ios on my 5S and ended up with plenty of junk (other files) over 3GB. Thats crazy, has to reset all content and setting.

Try link your contact to icloud, that will get them all back. I would say its a good idea to start off clean with the new phone and select your apps one by one. U might not get all save games back unless u backed up with icloud. Thats why i prefer to use my iphone for as long as possible. Setting up took a lot more time than u anticipated.