iPhone X New iPhone & keychain passwords all gone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by garethjs, Sep 21, 2018.

1. garethjs macrumors 6502a

I always setup my phones are brand new. Never tried the betas. Just got the Xs. So turned off iCloud on my all phone and then reset all settings and sold it

This morning I setup my Xs. Again same thing entered my iCloud password and selected enable iCloud Keychain.

Noticed my passwords wasn’t filling in. So went through settings and iCloud Keychain is off which is weird. Everything was on but iCloud messaging.

So turned it on and it asked for my Apple ID password and strangely enough the password of my old phone. So I entered it and it turned on

5hrs later and nothing has happened.... 0 entries

So I wiped the phone and tried again. Same thing iCloud Keychain was off. Turned it on again after entering passwords and nothing still

I’ve lost over a 100 passwords. Not once did I reset Keychain. Never has this problem before

Contacted Apple support and they said give it a few more days to see if a sync happens

Any suggestions anyone?

2. Broric macrumors regular

Same here, restored backup on to new XS Max and keychain is empty! :-(

3. solodogg, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018

solodogg macrumors 6502

I posted about this issue on reddit, and had the same issue myself. Erase all content and settings, and restore from your backup a second time, and your passwords will come back. It’s a huge PITA, but much better than filling in passwords again.

I think it’s pulling the passwords from the backup and not the iCloud storage for some strange reason. Setting up as new doesn’t seem to ever attempt to download them.

4. Millersara13 macrumors newbie

Millersara13

This really sucks! I’ve lost 374 passwords & almost all of my saved credit cards. Which some of those credit cards are my husbands I've tried everything..even restoring from backup. Every time I tried to retrieve my passwords & credit cards the amount became less & less. I’m now down to 10 passwords & only 1 credit card on all of my devices. Before all this happened my screen time locked me out twice. The second time I gave up and went to apple to have another genius, besides myself, fix the issue. They had one hell of a time trying to repair my iCloud as well. They couldn’t repair it either because it also prevented anyone from being able to turn off Find my iPhone. So in the end they had to erase and start fresh. Exactly what I was trying to avoid. By the time I got home I had around 250 passwords and all my credit cards. Now it’s 3 days later and as I said in the beginning I only have 10 passwords and 1 credit card.
    I’m sure I’ll wake up tomorrow and have none! SMH!! This is absolutely ridiculous! I have nothing but apple products because they are supposedly the best... and now that statement is false! I’m about to throw them all out after I smash them all with a hammer and then go buy all new Macintosh products! Err.. so mad at apple!!

5. now i see it macrumors 68040

just goes to show that iCloud isn't 100% reliable. Also goes to show that selling an old phone before setting up a new one is very risky

6. garethjs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well it turns out That without any devices signed into iCloud, Keychain passwords in the cloud do expire. As long as 1 device is signed in you are safe (eg mac...)

As to how long you have before keychain expires I don’t know. But it seems a couple of minutes only

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have never trusted the cloud for my restores to a new phone. I have always done an encrypted iTunes backup. I still use the cloud for nightly backups but still backup to iTunes weekly.

8. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

That’s a good to know. I gave a spare 5s that I use for music signed into iCloud.