Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
Today, I received the storm grey leather case for my matte black 7+. I'd previously had the Apple leather cases on my 6+ & 6S+ and found them to offer great protection for my iPhones (I dropped my 6S+ from waist height face down onto concrete and luckily there wasn't a mark on my phone). And I really like the look and feel of them.

I think this case compliments my phone perfectly, really love the colour and the only issue I had with the previous cases were how much harder I had to press the volume and power buttons. So this seems perfect to me. Maybe it is slightly more smoother but not so much it bothers me.

But, the leather on the back has some lines running down it which is bugging me. Maybe I'm being too fussy, but for the price I expected better.

What do you guys think? Would you want to exchange it or am I being overly fussy?!

View attachment 661558 View attachment 661559

Many of the Apple cases have natural imperfections like these, some look bad but in this case I think those lines actually make your case look pretty cool. Kind of enhances the natural leather look. I'd keep it.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
is there something like a matte body skin I can buy to basically stick to the bottom portion of the iPhone 7 plus near the speaker grills and lightning port to at least have some sort of protection for that exposed area that the Apple case doesn't cover? Which brand makes it and can I buy it on Amazon?

Last edited:

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Today, I received the storm grey leather case for my matte black 7+. I'd previously had the Apple leather cases on my 6+ & 6S+ and found them to offer great protection for my iPhones (I dropped my 6S+ from waist height face down onto concrete and luckily there wasn't a mark on my phone). And I really like the look and feel of them.

I think this case compliments my phone perfectly, really love the colour and the only issue I had with the previous cases were how much harder I had to press the volume and power buttons. So this seems perfect to me. Maybe it is slightly more smoother but not so much it bothers me.

But, the leather on the back has some lines running down it which is bugging me. Maybe I'm being too fussy, but for the price I expected better.

What do you guys think? Would you want to exchange it or am I being overly fussy?!

View attachment 661558 View attachment 661559
I had similar lines and I ended up returning my black one. I wasn't happy either with the corner finishing on mine or the button fit, volume button edge was sloppy and not flush against the phone. If it was already loose, can't see it getting better.

Saw my brothers storm gray one and had no lines, corners were tight and smooth, and volume buttons were better but obv not as good as 6s. Guess that's the trade off with new button design.

deadolive

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2014
ce5ff761de47cc90d0bc89c953b9ad78.jpg

60c892801807068dba6463706a617824.jpg

c89826f1804a866816862d5928b8a031.jpg

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria
After seeing those brilliant photos of the aging sattle brown leather, I'm probably going to return my black one when it arrives. That brown looks gorgeous! :) I hardly ever use a case with my phones, but for those "medium-risk-situations", the Apple leather cases are definitively the way to go IMO.

Thought about getting an UAG case, but unfortunately they lack the soft lining (which would worry me because of dust getting inside the case)...

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
I got the brown leather case for my iPhone 7 Plus. It's nice but I had to exchange my first one. It had a deep scratch but the replacement is in good condition. Don't think it's worth the money but oh well. The main reason is because I wish it had more "grip" to it. I feel like the leather is too thin compare to leather cases I've had like Vaja brand. My guess because they wanted to keep it thin but sacrificed some of the quality. Definitely not on par with higher end leather cases I've seen. I just need a case now so I'm keeping it but I wouldn't recommend it if you can get a better quality leather case, but I don't think you'll find something better in stores at this time. (I still think the iPhone 5S leather case still the best Apple has made).

By the way I wanted the silicon case better but I checked it out and it cracks so easily. All the cases at the Apple Store had the corners chipped. Looks like it's made of sand than anything else. I have the same silicon case for my iPad Pro 12 inch one and that one is awesome. Not sure what changed but it doesn't feel the same.

Reactions: jm31828

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Been thinking about it overnight and I'll definitely keep it. I can't easily get to an Apple Store anyway and would take at least 11 days if I order one online. I'm happy with the corners and the way it fits (my 6S+ case neeeed the left corner pushing on slightly sometimes), so not worth the hassle and risking getting one that's not as good.

The case is overpriced at £49, but I know it will offer the protection I need and it really does look amazing in the storm grey. So I can justify the cost.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
After seeing all the great photos of the Sea Blue leather I ordered one last week and it was shipped Thursday, much earlier than expected. But once again UPS screwed me. After the debacle getting my JB 7+ from China I shouldn't be surprised. This time it was shipped from Ontario, CA only about an hour away from me and it was scheduled to be delivered yesterday. Tracking said it was "out for delivery" on the truck at 7:30 am, estimated to arrive between 10:30 and 2:30. I stayed home all day until finally around 5:30 the tracking was updated to say "Due to operating conditions, your package may be delayed. / Delivery will be rescheduled" and now I have no scheduled delivery date. Customer service says it was "left in the building" whatever that means and it will be delivered Monday. Ugh I really hate UPS right now.

JSway

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Finally received my Sea Blue case! Looks much different than most pictures I've seen in this thread. I'll post some pictures soon! Can't wait to put it on.

trife

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2012
Picked up a black leather case last night, only to find out this morning when I opened it that the bottom corners bulge out when on the phone. Sucks b/c so far I've had great luck with the Apple leather cases. It also sucks because I got the last one in-store and they won't be in stock there until next Thursday.

I think I may just go with the silicone this time around. Only reason I'm getting a case is for when my 5-year old uses my phone, so the grippier silicone will probably be better anyways.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
IMG_0204.JPG
Matte Black 7 plus with Apple Tan leather case. Not sure.What do people think of the combination?

Last edited:
Reactions: gkingha

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
My Sea Blue case arrived today, after the delay yesterday the scheduled delivery date was moved to Monday but it mysteriously went out for delivery today...turns out Apple had already specified Saturday Delivery. Thanks Apple!

I gotta say it's a beautiful color but hard to pin down since it almost seems to change depending on the lighting. That's why it looks different in all the pictures. When I first opened it up I thought it was much lighter than expected, almost a baby or sky blue, but then after putting it on my phone it sorta looks more light-steel-bluish. Hopefully it will patina to a nice slightly darker shade of blue. I've had both the 6 and 6S versions of the Midnight Blue and as others have mentioned the color is great at first but it's such a dark blue that it eventually looks nearly black which is why I went with the Sea Blue this time. It also kind of reminds me of a "vintage" blue, like the color of a car or appliance from the 50's. The blue anodized buttons are gorgeous.

Also, it is absolutely true what is said about grip with these cases. There is a noticeable difference between this case and the Storm Gray which I've been using the last week. The Gray started out slippery but had already developed some grip. I expect this one will too after a few days.

Here are some pics, along with the Sea Blue next to Storm Gray:

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG
IMG_0465.JPG
IMG_0469.JPG

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
After seeing all the great photos of the Sea Blue leather I ordered one last week and it was shipped Thursday, much earlier than expected. But once again UPS screwed me. After the debacle getting my JB 7+ from China I shouldn't be surprised. This time it was shipped from Ontario, CA only about an hour away from me and it was scheduled to be delivered yesterday. Tracking said it was "out for delivery" on the truck at 7:30 am, estimated to arrive between 10:30 and 2:30. I stayed home all day until finally around 5:30 the tracking was updated to say "Due to operating conditions, your package may be delayed. / Delivery will be rescheduled" and now I have no scheduled delivery date. Customer service says it was "left in the building" whatever that means and it will be delivered Monday. Ugh I really hate UPS right now.

UPS blows chunks.

I'm not sure what happened at UPS the last year or two but they've tanked when it comes to customer service. FedEx and UPS used to be poster children for efficient reliable distribution, now it seems like UPS has fallen off that wagon.

I had a similar situation where a phone was out for delivery, then it then rode around all day and was back in the station on a Friday night and couldn't be picked up until Monday. Nobody could explain why.

The unfortunate Catch-22 in the FedEx\UPS situation is they can be as complacent as they want. You're not their customer, Apple is. And Apple isn't going to press UPS over one customer complaint or thousands. So you have no real leverage with UPS, and you have no real leverage with Apple. I expect all shipping companies to become more complacent as online shopping becomes the norm. And that's really sad.

Situations like this is why everyone should use their credit card to pay for online purchases, because at the end of the day when things go wrong, you dispute the transaction and have protection and rights.

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
My midnight blue Apple leather case. For some reason my iphone could not capture the true color of my case. It comes out more gray blue. I've had the case for a few days that's why it has those marks.

Attachments

• IMG_1240.JPG
    IMG_1240.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 400

iBought

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
is there something like a matte body skin I can buy to basically stick to the bottom portion of the iPhone 7 plus near the speaker grills and lightning port to at least have some sort of protection for that exposed area that the Apple case doesn't cover? Which brand makes it and can I buy it on Amazon?

Whats that going to do? If it was so crucial just get the 3rd party leather case. I tried that case at Best Buy and it was nothing special. I have zero worries about the opening on the bottom of the apple case. Of course I like actually hearing my speakers and I don't obsess over this stuff. You will be fine, just rock the case and don't worry about it.

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
My iPhone 7 case arrived today - black leather. I have already requested a return and refund.

There are markings on the back (I get that this happens with leather, but for £45 I am not prepared to settle for that). And the corners are all rippled.

Neither of these were issues with my iPhone 6 black leather case 2 years ago.

I also think the buttons look very plastic like and cheap.

Photos attached. Hopefully this is just a one off, but thought I'd share in case.

View attachment 651010 View attachment 651011 View attachment 651012 View attachment 651013 View attachment 651014
I had exactly same issue. Just received my replacement and it looks great but marks so easily, after one day it's covered in marks, however plastic case I had as an alternative is quite bulky, so will stick with the leather.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.