Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klaus2002

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
Some pics of my saddle brown case. I've been using it every day in every situation (beach as well) since iPhone 7 release in september. Now ordered a sapphire blue because of the beautiful color!
FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender 2.jpg FullSizeRender 3.jpg

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2017
Well I felt like trying something new, trialling the midnight blue leather. It certainly has a much worse texture than Sapphire (Sapphire was my first 7 Plus leather case), it feels really slippery and almost a bit plasticky? I hope it changes with use. I do like though, there are these "dots" that you can see on the corners that make it look much more like leather, unlike the 6s cases.

However that being said, color-wise, it's absolutely beautiful the way it is and if it's eventually just going to turn black I'm going to be really dissapointed (and will probably return it in 13 days), I wish there was a way I could keep it exactly like this ^

IMG_0690.JPG

I would have loved to have had Storm Grey instead but that shade has been discontinued in favour of Taupe :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Dino F

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Well I felt like trying something new, trialling the midnight blue leather. It certainly has a much worse texture than Sapphire (Sapphire was my first 7 Plus leather case), it feels really slippery and almost a bit plasticky? I hope it changes with use. I do like though, there are these "dots" that you can see on the corners that make it look much more like leather, unlike the 6s cases.

However that being said, color-wise, it's absolutely beautiful the way it is and if it's eventually just going to turn black I'm going to be really dissapointed (and will probably return it in 13 days), I wish there was a way I could keep it exactly like this ^

View attachment 700303

I would have loved to have had Storm Grey instead but that shade has been discontinued in favour of Taupe :(
Unfortunately, it'll turn darker. My midnight is almost black. I hate it.

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2017

Ok well I saw my Uncles midnight blue case for the 6s that's a year old, it looks gross. It's like black but you can see this hideous purple shine too. I can't really describe it, but yeah. Too bad Apple didn't make any changes between 6s / 7... I mean it looks so classy out of the box.

Looks like I'll just return it in 13 days, and then try and hunt down a Storm Grey case (I don't mind having that one darken) but that's gunna be pretty tricky if not close to impossible because none of the independent certified retailers ever got that shade IIRC ^^

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Ok well I saw my Uncles midnight blue case for the 6s that's a year old, it looks gross. It's like black but you can see this hideous purple shine too. I can't really describe it, but yeah. Too bad Apple didn't make any changes between 6s / 7... I mean it looks so classy out of the box.

Looks like I'll just return it in 13 days, and then try and hunt down a Storm Grey case (I don't mind having that one darken) but that's gunna be pretty tricky if not close to impossible because none of the independent certified retailers ever got that shade IIRC ^^
How is your sapphire holding up? Pics?

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2017
How is your sapphire holding up? Pics?

I'm currently away (elsewhere in Australia) on holiday and as such I don't have the sapphire with me, left it at home:( Have Ocean Blue as my primary case, and while here I was looking for something new :) But as mentioned I think the best option is returning it soon and getting the $75 back before its too late instead of keep a product in the long run I know I won't like or want anymore.

As for Sapphire, it looks very similar to Will's, what I like is, its turning into the colour thats listed as the stock photo on Apples website. Out of the box it is a little closer to Sea Blue leather instead, but as it ages its turning into that sexy dark blue shown on Apple's website. That combined with the improved texture for better grip, Sapphire is the one I recommend. It also looks like it goes well with any iPhone 7 irrespective of its colour, my mate even told me he was slightly jealous and felt a bit of contempt for Apple for not releasing it for the 6s!

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK

View attachment 700315

.... I wouldn't return the Midnight Blue if I were you!

I have now switched back to my Midnight Blue leather case (from my minimalist Tozo case), and whilst I agree that it does darken around the edges, it no way darkens to the point of looking black......! Mine still looks blue and I have had mine since the iPhone 7 first came out (it was my very first case!). I'm sticking with the leather cases now as Apple's silicone ones are just lint magnets, when you put them into a denim pocket - as the pocket is white, when you pull out the phone, its covered in white dust, and I HATE that!!!!

At the beginning, it was a little slippery, but that's because the leather was brand new back then - now that it has been used extensively, the leather is A LOT MORE grippy and it is not slippery at all. In fact, I can grip it VERY comfortably without my case slipping from my fingers....its probably the best case I own!

The Midnight Blue will darken - but it won't go black!

I have an old Midnight Blue leather case for the iPhone 6 at home, I'll try and snap a pic of it tonight and compare it to iPhone 7 Midnight Blue.....

Last edited:

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2017
.... I wouldn't return the Midnight Blue if I were you!

I have now switched back to my Midnight Blue leather case (from my minimalist Tozo case), and whilst I agree that it does darken around the edges, it no way darkens to the point of looking black......! Mine still looks blue and I have had mine since the iPhone 7 first came out (it was my very first case!). I'm sticking with the leather cases now as Apple's silicone ones are just lint magnets, when you put them into a denim pocket - as the pocket is white, when you pull out the phone, its covered in white dust, and I HATE that!!!!

At the beginning, it was a little slippery, but that's because the leather was brand new back then - now that it has been used extensively, the leather is A LOT MORE grippy and it is not slippery at all. In fact, I can grip it VERY comfortably without my case slipping from my fingers....its probably the best case I own!

The Midnight Blue will darken - but it won't go black!

I have an old Midnight Blue leather case for the iPhone 6 at home, I'll try and snap a pic of it tonight and compare it to iPhone 7 Midnight Blue.....

Hey Dino :)

No stress I'm still very early into the return window.

I'd love to see some photos then as my friends with the 6s Midnight Blue have not been so fortunate (and this is with normal day to day use). If it really is just a super dark blue then thats fine :) I do agree about the Silicone cases being lint magnets, however, once the texture breaks in a bit then it loses that quality of attracting lint, but thats in my experience. The advantage Silicone has over leather is that it'll stay the colour you bought it in, so you have that guarantee if the initial colour is what sold it to you (it was for me and Ocean Blue).

As for the texture, well, to be honest , Sapphire (and Berry/Taupe) has a good grip and texture irrespective of the time you buy it / waiting for it wear in, and you know what I'm really pleased with that because it shows Apple listened to complaints about the original 7 series case and already addressed it. Coming from Sapphire, tbh, I'm really not pleased with the initial texture of Midnight Blue, I'm certain nothing too much will change in 12 days when I need to make a decision!

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest

View attachment 700315

Did the semi dark lines bother you? Seems to be normal on the 7 plus leather cases

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
I had a look at my old iPhone 6 Midnight Blue leather case last night - it looks quite horrible!!!

The edges, where the case was held, were almost black in colour and I would say that the leather on the case, as a whole, is a darker shade of blue, than the blue used on my iPhone 7 Midnight Blue leather case.

I didn't take any pics as it will probably come out looking back on the camera. If I get a chance tonight - I'll take some pics of the case, outside in the garden, where there is natural light.

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2017
Did the semi dark lines bother you? Seems to be normal on the 7 plus leather cases

No, not at all - thats a normal condition of leather.

What does bother me is if its going to eventually (like 3 months later) turn into that greasy disgusting black that the 6/6s midnight blue cases did. I bought a """blue""" case for it to stay at least some shade of blue, not black, otherwise maybe midnight blue silicone is better but I already have 2 silicone cases and think its enough for now. :)

Reactions: iApple_man

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
No, not at all - thats a normal condition of leather.

What does bother me is if its going to eventually (like 3 months later) turn into that greasy disgusting black that the 6/6s midnight blue cases did. I bought a """blue""" case for it to stay at least some shade of blue, not black, otherwise maybe midnight blue silicone is better but I already have 2 silicone cases and think its enough for now. :)

I agree that the MIdnight Blue leather case for the iPhone 6, did go VERY dark at the edges (where you naturally grip the phone) - almost black (as evidenced by my post above), however, the Midnight Blue for iPhone 7 does not do this! I have had my Midnight Blue leather case on my iPhone 7, pretty much as soon as the 7 came out and it is STILL Midnight Blue - no black edges or anything! yes, the edges have darkened slightly where I naturally grip the phone, but nowhere near as much the iPhone 6 version.
:)

Reactions: Arcontia

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
I had a look at my old iPhone 6 Midnight Blue leather case last night - it looks quite horrible!!!

The edges, where the case was held, were almost black in colour and I would say that the leather on the case, as a whole, is a darker shade of blue, than the blue used on my iPhone 7 Midnight Blue leather case.

I didn't take any pics as it will probably come out looking back on the camera. If I get a chance tonight - I'll take some pics of the case, outside in the garden, where there is natural light.
If the midnight blue looked horrible after daily use I imagine the sapphire I just bought will be even worse.

I've seen other Apple Leather cases that were light colors that looked horrendous after a few months. The saddle brown patinas or dirties up best as it's the natural brown leather color so it's more normal but seeing a blue or red case it doesn't look like a patina it looks dirty and grimy. Just my opinion. It seems the black is the best option or a silicone case.

Reactions: Dino F

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2017
If the midnight blue looked horrible after daily use I imagine the sapphire I just bought will be even worse.

I've seen other Apple Leather cases that were light colors that looked horrendous after a few months. The saddle brown patinas or dirties up best as it's the natural brown leather color so it's more normal but seeing a blue or red case it doesn't look like a patina it looks dirty and grimy. Just my opinion. It seems the black is the best option or a silicone case.

I found someone's photos of their two month old Sapphire cases and I was right, it does end up looking like the stock photos. Honestly, tbh, I think Sapphire is a much better strategic option compared to the Midnight Blue which loses its original colour too easily. I think this actually looks pretty good-

(Credits to trustyxchords on Reddit these are his pics) -

IMG_6962.JPG
IMG_6963.JPG
IMG_6964.JPG

Honestly I'm not concerned about it - Sapphire always exceeded my expectations with its thoughtful colour and better texture.

Reactions: danny8200

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
I found someone's photos of their two month old Sapphire cases and I was right, it does end up looking like the stock photos. Honestly, tbh, I think Sapphire is a much better strategic option compared to the Midnight Blue which loses its original colour too easily. I think this actually looks pretty good-

(Credits to trustyxchords on Reddit these are his pics) -

View attachment 701242 View attachment 701243 View attachment 701244

Honestly I'm not concerned about it - Sapphire always exceeded my expectations with its thoughtful colour and better texture.

...DAYAM :eek::eek: You sure that is Sapphire??? That looks just how my Midnight Blue case looks now......?!?!?

If that pic is truly the Sapphire case, there's no way I'm buying it as it will just look like Midnight Blue in a couple of months......
:(

Reactions: AppleDior31

Lion007s

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Australia
Hey guys, just got a new black leather case for my 7 plus. Just wanted to ask if this looks fine? Or should I exchange?

Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 12.07.18 am.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 12.08.22 am.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.