New Iphone metal hybrid case 'ALMATE case' first impression and picture.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by wanchu83, Dec 27, 2010.

1. wanchu83 macrumors newbie

Hi, I thought I should share one more hybrid case I bought with you guys because I never seen a post about this item before.

First of all, I usually don't post but just wanted to let you know there is one more product.

I own Ebay's TransPhomers aluminum case and I will try to compare it with new case(almate)

I like the TransPhomers case which looks just like Vapor. There is maybe one or two bar loss in signal strength. No problem with WiFi, but there is big problem with GPS. The GPS doesn't pick up where I am while i am moving. It missed me by two block or some. So, I needed other case that will not interfere with GPS.

I was considering Atomic case, which is hybrid material and it sounded good. I like the look of Blade, but there is some loss on gps. Being Korean, and I know that Iphone4 is huge in Korea, I searched case in Korean search engine. I came across 'Almate' case. This is what lots of Koreans use on their iphone 4 if they want the metal look case (Blade is popular also). Vapor is very popular in Korea but they don't get much shipment and they know it interferes with their reception and GPS. Anyways, I was about to order it from Korean website and ship it to me using separate international shipping company, but I found that they sell them in Ebay too. I bought it right away. They cost about 70,000won(which is roughly 63dollars in US) in Korea. They ebay store sells them for 70 dollars with free shipping. Free shipping was taking too long so I paid extra to get it fast. I just got them today(bought on 23rd and recieved it 27th, I am located in So.Cal BTW)

They came in their own brand box and the item looked great. I was satisfy with quality and the color(although the red looked little bit more red-pinkish). They are made same material as Atomic case. 'Blade', 'Atomic' and 'Almate' is all made by Koreans. Somehow the Almate is not that popular in US, tho. I agree that white frame feels little bit more of hard plastic(derlin). They are same feel as Atomic's frame. But I decided to go with Alamte because it has bigger opening in headphone jack area and also has the place where you can hang your accessory-charm (on left top corner). The bottom openning looks also big but I don't know if it will fit 3rd party adapter. The red part has some curves where your finger will place when you grap it with left hand. It felt comfortable. I didn't need simcard opening but they don't have options.

The frames are connected by one hex screw and they not visible from the front.

Overall, the first impression is good. The fitment is perfect(no gap), and I get bettter reception and WiFi than TransPhormer all alumnium case. GPS-wise, I am not so sure yet because I didn't go for drive. It picked up my location fast when I was stationary, but need to go out for drive in order to see it in action.(I will do GPS drive test tomorrow when I go shopping).

For the Cons, I would say the white frame is not cold-aluminum, and bottomw part doesn't clear the speaker all the way(white frame covers little bit of speaker(but it's very little).
    Where are some pictures for you to enjoy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Putting on a $.99 cent store case on a beautiful high quality iPhone 4? Not looking good at all.

3. lskeys macrumors member

:D:D:D:D Well said!!

4. enemi macrumors regular

enemi

Can I just ask where have you found this case for .99 cent? ;o
    That's a fantastic price, if what you said is actually true.
    It costs 56 GBP on ebay. :rolleyes:

5. peteisanidiot macrumors regular

whereas the atomic definitely looks and feels like a composite material the non-metal parts of this case look like cheap plastic. poor design on the bottom and those finger ridges are just plain ugly.

6. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Looks tacky in those colours.

7. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

You really had to quote all the pics just for a sentence?

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

9. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Seems all these metal cases are getting uglier and uglier with each passing knock off.

10. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

lmao...thats what i was thinking