New iPhone needs OSX 10.5 Need Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tek210, Jun 24, 2010.

1. tek210 macrumors regular

tek210

Well just got my beautiful new iPhone home and guess what I learned when I synced, I need OSX 10.5 in order to sync the new phone. Unfortunately I have an imac from about 2004 and it can't take 10.5, no Intel processor. Looks like I will have to load itunes onto my work laptop. Thankfully I have all my itunes stuff on an external hard drive so that should not be so bad.

One thing I am looking for help on is how can I get the contact info over to the new phone I did a backup of my 3g this morning, but not sure if there is a way to transfer that backup, or at least the contacts over to iTunes on my PC.

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

2. doverlock macrumors regular

doverlock

What OS is running on your work laptop? Windows or Mac?

I recently just transferred an iPhone backup from on computer to another, last night in fact, so I can assure you it works.

What you have to do is this:
    On your Mac where you backed up your 3G navigate to /User/(username)/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

You'll see one or more folders with a bunch of characters and numbers jumbled around. Look at the "Date Modified" column in Finder, the date modified will reflect the time that you last backed up your phone. Copy this folder to a thumb drive.

If your work laptop is a Mac, simple paste that folder into the same directory I mentioned above.

If your laptop is a Windows, paste the folder into the following directory:
    C:/Documents and Settings/(username)/Application Data/Apple Computer/MobileSync/Backup <~ (if Windows XP)
    C:/Users/(username)/AppData/Apple Computer/MobileSync/Backup <~ (Win Vista/7).

To verify that the backup is being shown on your laptop, open up iTunes and go into Edit -> Preferences. Click the "Devices" tab, and under "backups" it should be listed.

Hope this can help! If my directions were kind of confusing, I will be more than welcome to clarify more. :)

3. tek210 thread starter macrumors regular

tek210

Also thinking I am going to lose all my Playlists too, anyway to migrate those from Mac to PC?

4. tek210 thread starter macrumors regular

tek210

Running XP on the laptop, will try the suggestions, thanks.

5. Virtuality macrumors member

10.5 Leopard does not require Intel processors. Only 10.6 Snow Leopard does.

Either buy 10.5. Or try calling AppleCare. If you tell them you're considering returning the phone, there's a fat chance they'll send you a 10.5 disc for free.

6. doverlock macrumors regular

doverlock

If you're concerned about the playlists in your iTunes library, you can right click each one individual and select "Export..." It will create a .txt file that iTunes can read and build a playlist from on another computer. You just have to be sure that the corresponding songs are on the computer.

If you want to just export your whole library, go to File -> Library -> Export Library.

To import both individual playlists and your library list into the other iTunes, go to File -> Library -> Import Playlist.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It rather annoying that Apple can not work on its own hardware but is supporting Windows software all the way back to XP and anything running XP witch was release in 2001. Yet no apple computer will work from pre 2004-05.

8. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

My iBook G4 (from late 2004) is currently running 10.5.x. It isn't my day-to-day computer anymore, but 10.5 does run on a non-intel mac - as someone mentioned earlier.

9. Virtuality macrumors member

Perhaps has something to do with the fact that Windows XP has 49.74% (source) of the OS market share, while Tiger has 1.56. And Snow Leopard has 4.39. Not many people are still using 10.4, really...

10. tek210 thread starter macrumors regular

tek210

I was mistaken there, I guess at the time, I just didn't see enough reasons to upgrade. Although now I am not sure if I could even pick up 10.5. I might just migrate the stuff over. My imac has been having major problems booting up.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

They actually did a great job for me, I'm on a Rev A MBP, (was) running Tiger and didn't notice the 10.5.8 requirement until after I pre-ordered. I called Apple, they told me I could bring it into the store and they'd loan me an external DVD drive to toss on SL at the store. After some mis-communication and technical problems, they ended up loading me up to SN off a external hard drive and didn't charge me anything. Good luck OP!

*EDIT - My Superdrive was shot, kind of pertinent information :)

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

So Apple is very willing to block off over 20% of its own user base. That is rather sad.

Unlike apple Microsoft is supporting XP threw 2014. Now it is currently in extended support mode which means just minor bug fix and security updates but still it is supported. Compared to Apple which drops nearly all support as soon as the next OS is released.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well, it has been almost three years, and honestly, the $30 upgrade to SL isn't that bad. I do with they had made it more prominent that Leopard was needed to run the new phone.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

still sad that they are forcing people to pay for upgrades. 20% of their users have to pay to upgrade. Compared to Apple fulling supporting an OS that is nearing 10 years old. Also SL ONLY work on macs that have intel chips. I have a desktop PC that is 6 years old that is could handle the iPhone 4 just fine. Back then it was ONLY PPC chips.

15. tek210 thread starter macrumors regular

tek210

Well I ended up getting it synced up yesterday. I also called Apple and ordered the OSX 10.5 disks. So I will update to the new OS and migrate back to my iMac. Hopefully I can move back and maintain the current setup on the phone. Took a while to get all the folders set right.

Thanks for all the help yesterday.