new iphone, old account?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by notOriginal, Jul 10, 2008.

1. notOriginal macrumors newbie

Explain to me this, why can I not add a new iphone to my old account which had the $20 data plan?

Everywhere I read it seems like everyone is saying that to use the phone you have to update the att account.

I have had 17 iphones purchased through liquidation places. I started with the 4 gig and used it as a itouch for a week. I then went and set up my att plan. Three weeks later a received an 8 gig phone. I synced it with itunes and actived it on my att acount to replace the 4 gig phone. I was not hit with any fees and the phone worked fine. About a month ago I did another upgrade to a 16 gig phone. again I synced with itunes and put the phone on my old att acount to replace the 8 gig. now, finally getting to my question...

Why can I not just buy the 3G phone and add it to my existing account and only be paying the $20 data and sms instead of the $30 with no sms?

I have hear or read nothing relating to this issue but it seems like the easy way around the new data plans.

2. qacjared macrumors regular

AT&T wants 10 bucks