New Iphone - Old firmware and need to jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by draxz, Feb 18, 2009.

1. draxz macrumors newbie

Hello,

I already had a 8GB Iphone 3g but switched it with my friend for a 16GB 3G phone.

She hardly used it and did not update the firmware since she got it (5 months back) its currently on 02.11.07. 2.1 firmware

How can I jail break this phone, I want to upgrade to 2.2 (not 2.2.1) and then jailbreak it.

2. cubedweller macrumors 6502

You'll need to find 2.2 online somewhere; my guess is it can still be downloaded from Apple's site. Then restore to 2.2 using iTunes; once there you'll need to let iTunes download the 2.2.1 (note: DOWNLOAD ONLY, DO NOT INSTALL IT). Once it has finished downloading, you can close iTunes and open up PwnageTool. From there, create a custom firmware for your new 3G. Finally, restore to this custom firmware using iTunes.

That's it. You're done. You should now be on 2.2.1 with the old baseband (2.28.00) allowing you to run the yellowsn0w soft unlock.

Hope this helps.

~E

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Yeck.... I'd bypass all of that "creating custom firmware" mumbo jumbo (not bashing you, cube. just sounds more complicated).

Download Quickpwn and the 2.2 firmware. When Quickpwn starts up it'll prompt you to browse for the firmware bundle you want to use, select the 2.2 file you downloaded and it's very self-explanatory from then on. Good luck!

P.S. Don't forget to deselect "Installer". It's worthless!

4. draxz thread starter macrumors newbie

So I download the Quickpwn and click restore.

But then I am not restoring Im upgrading from 2.1 to 2.2, Can I jailbreak it after i do this

5. cubedweller macrumors 6502

Well, when he said NOT 2.2.1 I assumed he wanted to preserve the 2.28.00 baseband. The above solution will allow for that and the use of yellowsn0w when he/she is finished.

If he/she doesn't care about yellowsn0w or preserving the baseband, then simply upgrade to 2.2.1 in iTunes and run QuickPawn, but his initial question suggested this wasn't the case...

6. draxz thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry about the confusion Im totally new to this. I still want to be able to unlock the iphone but not now may be later.

Guess I will follow cubedweller option. I will post the results in 2 hours