Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Element Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
United States of America
Wanted to get some advice on my next phone. I have Verizon and my contract is up at the start of August this year and I really want to get a new phone. I currently have an iPhone 4S and I like it, I really do. But I am really just bored of the same old same old with it. Obviously the apps are the centerpiece of the entire Apple ecosystem when it comes to an iPhone, but the phone itself is just tiring. I am considering the Galaxy S4 a lot now. Honestly, the hardest part is breaking away from the Apple ecosystem where I've purchased a handful of apps. On top of that, warranty service with Apple is well above the standard. I was wondering if anybody could give me advice on whether or not to make the switch or wait until the next iPhone debuts. Thanks!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Depends. The 5S may have some cool features we just don't know yet, but it certainly will at least come with iOS 7 which may be enough of a spring coat of paint to fufill the 'bit bored of this' feeling.

If your not so much tied to Apple's eco-system (i.e. spent a lot of money on apps), and are willing to try something new - then by all means go for the S4.

But as much of the smartphone experience is actually in the third party apps we buy and utilise as in the hardware and specifications, so if there are applications you utilise daily that were expensive and you don't want to purchase them again, or are apple/iOS applications and you need access to them (iMessage perhaps) then just wait till the iPhone 5S is released and see how you feel then.

Of course you could consider this. If your 4S is in good condition, and you don't feel like having another fixed contract - you could always sell it when the iPhone 5C comes out and put the cash towards buying the 5C outright (if it does come out contract free for $399 - you could end up paying $200 cash and sell your 4S for $200 etc..) making the price about the same as you would be paying for a subsidised contract phone. You can then play with a new iPhone, a new operating system and see how you like that. If it turns out its not for you - return it or sell it on for a minor dip in price, and put the cash towards a contract phone then......

Also if there are apps you need, check out the google play store and see if they are available on the android platform - and / or if there is a cost involved re-purchasing these - factor it in to the overall cost and see if you feel the move to android is worth that to you.

Element Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
United States of America
Awesome man! Thanks for the reply, it's appreciated! Now that you mention it, I actually have thought about just trading in my current iPhone(can maybe get like $200 for it through Gazelle and obviously a bit more through ebay). For the most part, all of the apps I use on a day to day basis exist on the android platform as well. My biggest concern is whether or not the GS4 will get buggy after a given amount of time. Not so much slow down, but freeze to where you need to take out the battery and restart it. Do you have an idea as to how the battery life is on the GS4?

Bobbman

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
I have both. I am a cell phone junkie. The S4 is now on ebay. The S4 is all screen...a great, perfect flawless screen. After the screen though the phone is meh. It has a great outdoor camera, but indoors it is so so. The Apple apps work better. The Iphone 5 is much smoother and handles day to day tasks more fluidly. The S4 is like a rocket in a box. It can be lightning fast, then stutter and freeze up. Day to day the Iphone 5 has been a more pleasant experience. Just my .37 cents.

Element Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2013
United States of America
I have both. I am a cell phone junkie. The S4 is now on ebay. The S4 is all screen...a great, perfect flawless screen. After the screen though the phone is meh. It has a great outdoor camera, but indoors it is so so. The Apple apps work better. The Iphone 5 is much smoother and handles day to day tasks more fluidly. The S4 is like a rocket in a box. It can be lightning fast, then stutter and freeze up. Day to day the Iphone 5 has been a more pleasant experience. Just my .37 cents.

It just seems like the iPhone 5 is such a small upgrade from a 4S. I mean, I think it's like a .5 inch bump as far as screen size goes. What do you think about the new Motorola Droid Phones they just introduced for Verizon?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'm on the fence about the 5S. I'm tempted to sit it out and go with a GS4 with a tethered iPod Touch to keep my iOS/Apple ecosystem handy.

Just really depends on what iOS 7 and 5S bring to the table.

Bobbman

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
It just seems like the iPhone 5 is such a small upgrade from a 4S. I mean, I think it's like a .5 inch bump as far as screen size goes. What do you think about the new Motorola Droid Phones they just introduced for Verizon?

To early to tell. I like Motorola phones. There cameras, however, have always paled to the competition. If the cameras seem good I may give the new Maxx a shot.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Had the Ip5 and now I have the S4. No comparison. The S4 is so much better. Try it on Verizon for 14 days. Guarantee you will keep it. By the way, it has no lag or stutter.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I truly enjoy both platforms. It is simply a matter of personal preference and how you use a smartphone.

I'm choosing to pass on the next iPhone since for my purposes it doesn't offer any significant advantages over my iPhone 5.

Even if there is a last minute surprise, Apple has become too adverse to large displays to make that one change of greatest interest to me. Of the rumors I've read even if Apple does go larger it appears 4.7" would be their limit. My Galaxy S4, at 5" with its gorgeous Super AMOLED display has already filled that need for me.

I prefer to wait till Apple introduces a fresh exciting new iPhone.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Do you have an idea as to how the battery life is on the GS4?

It should in theory and from my own personal experience be better than your iPhone 4S despite the increased screen size, and cpu power. You can always buy bigger batteries too or carry a spare, but I suspect if you can survive on a 4S - you'll be fine with the S4.

:)

nyc999

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
They are both great phones, which ecosystem do you want.

I have the GS4 rooted with custom rom. Overall I like it a lot. There is the occasional stutter, especially when you open gallery. But overall it is pretty fast and you can open several apps at the same time without running out of memory. The screen is fantastic. The main thing I don't like about it is that the speakers are on the back, and with a case on, when the phone is laying on its back, the sound gets muffled. I wish the speakers were located at the base as in the iphone or in the front like the HTC one.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
They are both great phones, which ecosystem do you want.

I have the GS4 rooted with custom rom. Overall I like it a lot. There is the occasional stutter, especially when you open gallery. But overall it is pretty fast and you can open several apps at the same time without running out of memory. The screen is fantastic. The main thing I don't like about it is that the speakers are on the back, and with a case on, when the phone is laying on its back, the sound gets muffled. I wish the speakers were located at the base as in the iphone or in the front like the HTC one.

Speaker on the back problem is solved with an Element Atom case. I have the case and it works very well. The only time the speaker on the back can cause a problem is when you are receiving a call and the sound is muffled. When you hold the phone, the sound is reflected back to you without a problem.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas

I have both the 4s and S4 and my experience is quite the opposite. Most of the 4s' days are spent in a drawer somewhere because it lags and stutters like crazy. Gone are the days when the 4s was a fluid beast, once I upgraded to 6.1.3 it was all she wrote. Meanwhile I haven't experienced any hiccups on the GS4. I think I lucked out though because everybody whom I hear has issues with their S4 is either on the MDC update or the new MF9 update. I'm on the MDL update.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm on the fence about the 5S. I'm tempted to sit it out and go with a GS4 with a tethered iPod Touch to keep my iOS/Apple ecosystem handy.

Just really depends on what iOS 7 and 5S bring to the table.

What would 5S need to bring for you? Genuinely curious. We all know the basic upgrades it'll likely get. But what X-factor feature would get you? Would finger print sensor alone be enough?

----------

the hardest part is breaking away from the Apple ecosystem where I've purchased a handful of apps.

You'll get over this. It burned a little knowing it's all wasted, but I got over it quite quickly myself. In fact, recently, I switched from an iPad to a Nexus 7. I actually still have ~9 bucks or so left on my iTunes account. It'll likely never be used now. Sucks, but you get over it.

On top of that, warranty service with Apple is well above the standard.

This, on the other hand, is not so easy to get over. You will miss this for sure.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
What would 5S need to bring for you? Genuinely curious. We all know the basic upgrades it'll likely get. But what X-factor feature would get you? Would finger print sensor alone be enough?

I actually opted for the S4. It is a low risk purchase because dumping it for a $400+ will be easy in the event the iPhone 5S impresses.

However, at it's core I know the iPhone 5S and 5C will be 90% iPhone 5 which I already have. The odds of a must have killer app for the 5S is quite slim, but I guess we will see.

And a fingerprint sensor means nothing to me currently. I don't foresee that as being something I will rush out for.

2ndchancephones

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2011
Denton, TX
I'm a Apple fanboy with Apple everything. BUT...I got tired of Apple not really updating their is and their refusal to get a bigger screen (yes I realize they bumped it a little) so I dumped my iPhone 5 and got the Galaxy S4 and it is the best decision I have ever done regarding a cell phone. All your music will transfer over and most apps are on both platforms. I have kept my iPad because I have tons of movies from iTunes that I watch.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
If you could wait a few months, I'd suggest waiting for the 5S and seeing what happens. If you're underwhelmed, the GS4 is always there. Plus the Note 3 would be around the corner at that point too.

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
waiting 2-3 months is the best option for you, all of the new flagships phones including the 5s would have hit the market and it would be much more easier for you to decide.

but if you have only two options, the GS4 is better.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'm a Apple fanboy with Apple everything. BUT...I got tired of Apple not really updating their is and their refusal to get a bigger screen (yes I realize they bumped it a little) so I dumped my iPhone 5 and got the Galaxy S4 and it is the best decision I have ever done regarding a cell phone. All your music will transfer over and most apps are on both platforms. I have kept my iPad because I have tons of movies from iTunes that I watch.

I made the change to the GS4 and 95% of my apps were in Google Play, and since I use Spotify music was a non-issue completely.

I miss iCloud and iMessage big time. Until I get around to finding a solution I'm keeping my iPhone 5 in the bag and tethered to my GS4.

I'm thinking about giving the iPhone 5 to my wife to replace her 4S, and getting myself an iPod Touch so I stay fully immersed in the Apple Ecosystem with a small portable device I am accustomed to.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
For the S4 owners, please comment on the battery life if you could. Thanks.
I'm intrigued by the new Droids and the Moto X, especially because they're mostly stock Android, but the S4 has a bigger ecosystem (cases, etc.).

I have a Razr Maxx HD presently, and I'm afraid I'll be disappointed by the G4's battery life. I know it won't be as good, but is it 2/3 as good? (3300mAh vs 2600mAh)

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
For the S4 owners, please comment on the battery life if you could. Thanks.
I'm intrigued by the new Droids and the Moto X, especially because they're mostly stock Android, but the S4 has a bigger ecosystem (cases, etc.).

I have a Razr Maxx HD presently, and I'm afraid I'll be disappointed by the G4's battery life. I know it won't be as good, but is it 2/3 as good? (3300mAh vs 2600mAh)

It's not going to be Maxx HD good, but it's still fantastic. Lasts a whole day easily with heavy usage. I see 16-19 hours of usage on average according to the battery screen.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Yeah. I miss I message but Go SMS Pro works OK for me.

I'm using Google Hangouts. Tried Kik, Skype and Whatsapp and Hangouts is vastly better and works most like iMessage and Facetime because its synced with my GS4, iPhone, Mac, iPad and iPod Touch.

2ndchancephones

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2011
Denton, TX
I'm using Google Hangouts. Tried Kik, Skype and Whatsapp and Hangouts is vastly better and works most like iMessage and Facetime because its synced with my GS4, iPhone, Mac, iPad and iPod Touch.

Does the other person (ie..a person with an iPhone) have to be using hangouts as well? I've not looked at that much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.