New iPhone Order - What happens if they break their iPhone?

infosprt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Temecula, CA
If I buy an iPhone what happens if I drop it, get water on it, etc. and it ends up broken.

I don't think I can get another iPhone to replace it without paying the high new cost (probably in the area of $500 for a 16GB GS).

I'm probably stuck with the data plan of $30 per month for 2 years even though I don't have a phone to use it with.

What options do I have? Do extended warranties cover everything (lost, stolen, dropped in the pool)?

Thanks in advance.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Extended warranties don't cover accidental damage unless you buy something like Square Trade I believe (or home owner's insurance). If you drop break etc it's normally your loss. Gotta pay to play. If it's that much of a stretch for you either be careful or don't buy at all. This is the nature of the game of any electronic device with a pretty price tag on it.

Comment

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2009
The bestbuy warranty on it is the best. It covers all accidental damages. You can run it over and still get a new one.

Comment

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I think Apple Care provides some coverage for discounted repairs/replacement in the event of accidental damage. Not for loss/theft though, as I recall.

Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I think they give you a refurb if you damage yours for $200 not 100%. I know they do that for screen replacements.
If you break it and then you start using a different cellphone you're not stuck with the $30 iphone data plan, you can call them and have it removed.

Comment

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.