New Iphone out the box - ios10.1.1 and carrier unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by KILOCHARLIE, Jan 20, 2017.

1. KILOCHARLIE macrumors newbie

I have a brand new iphone 7 coming next week after my trusty iphone 4 (don't laugh) is getting put out to pasture after almost 5 years of jailbroken happiness.

The phone comes carrier unlocked but apparently locks to the carrier of the first sim inserted. Is there any way I can somehow stop it locking to this sim?

Also while I am unsure which ios the phone will come preinstalled with, if it is ios10.1.1 or below will I be able to activate it without being forced to install 10.2 via itunes? I'd like to obviously jailbreak it and wouldn't want to ruin the chance just by activating the phone for the first time. I've read that itunes has to "sign" for the ios and this no longer works with 10.1.1

Thanks for any help.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can use a Verizon sim card to do the initial activation and then it will remain unlocked for good.
    Im assuming this is a US bought iphone 7.
    If not then there's not much you can do besides buying one for full price officially unlocked.
    And yes you can keep whatever ios version it has on. You will not be forced to update.
    You might get a prompt asking you but you do not have to update to the latest version.
    You will need to activate your device in order to get in to the home screen and do anything with it.

3. KILOCHARLIE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Thats great. Just gotta hope it doesn't come factory installed with 10.2. Will I also be ok to upgrade to 10.1.1 via itunes if for instance it comes on ios9.

As for the sim unlock, I'm in the UK. Do you know if there's an equivilent network over here that will allow me to do the same?

Many thanks again.

4. Barneygumble47 macrumors regular

Where are you buying the phone? I'm in uk and can swap sims on my phone.

You won't be able to upgrade to 10.1.1 afaik only to the latest version apple are signing.

5. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

You won't be able to upgrade to iOS 10.1.1, however it is impossible for the phone to come with iOS 9 as the iPhone 7 has a minimum version of iOS 10 that it will have shipped with.

6. KILOCHARLIE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks both. The iphone is from Carphone warehouse in the uk and supposedly locks to the first sim inserted. Apparently its best to use a three payg sim as they are the easiest to unlock with.

Any idea which ios my phone will come pre installed with and if the current available jailbreak is worth trying on it if it is a pre 10.1.1?

Thanks again.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, if you want to update an iPhone you can only update to the ios version that Apple currently signs. And today its 10.2
    You cannot restore or update to anything other than that.
    As far as the sim unlock in the UK Im not really sure.
    If you have no option then use the carrier that you use the most. If you swap sims and use multiple different carriers you will have to ask the carrier for an unlock or see if you can purchase an IMEI unlock for it online if its available.
    Good luck.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 21, 2017 ---
    Your guess is as good as anyone's.

8. Barneygumble47 macrumors regular

Can you not just get it from Apple Store that way you can swap network anytime you choose ?

9. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

I got two iP7+ in the last week and both came with iOS 10.2 and the were 256gb jet black.

10. Superman80 macrumors regular

Yes use a Three sim, it shouldn't lock, even if it does call them up and they will unlock for free, they don't charge to unlock phones and they don't lock them in you buy from them either

11. KILOCHARLIE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. iphones came yesterday on 10.1.1.

I wanted the unlock as the phone is a work contract upgrade. I'm happy with the samsung work phone I've been using for the last two years so decided to keep using that during the day and then use this new iphone as my personal phone in the evenings. My personal number is on a three payg go sim.

I put my three sim into the phone as soon as I got it and its now locked to three. I contacted them to request an unlock as I had read this was the best network to do the unlock (both above and elsewhere online) so that if my office ever ask why I am not using my new phone I can just swap the sims over. Three have now said they won't do an unlock as the phone is showing as an o2 contract purchased via carphone warehouse. They say as I've put the three sim in first it is now locked to three but they are unwilling to do anything else.

Does anyone know how I can use this phone for my o2 sim if my office ever ask?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, that sucks man.
    So you bought it, tried to unlock it and now you are locked it and you cant even use it with your carrier?
    I'd bring it back and try to return it.
    Its a shame they wont unlock it for you.

13. Superman80 macrumors regular

This is BS as ive upgrades a parents contract at carphone warehouse (who are on O2) and did the exact same thing so I could have the upgrade, try using the online chat facility

If that fails and they are still refusing just search ebay for an insider to unlock it, (and before anyone asked once it is unlocked via ebay its unlocked forever regardless of if you update the IOS)

I know some ebayers cant unlock Carphone warehouse phones so read descriptions thoroughly

14. KILOCHARLIE thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all. I raised a completely complaint with three and they have now unlocked the phone and creditted my account as means of apology. Thanks for the help though.