New iPhone Owner - A Couple Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maclovin', Jun 12, 2009.

1. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

So yesterday I finally bought myself an iPhone(yes I know the 3Gs is coming out next friday, but none of the features really stuck out to me, and I got this one cheap ;)), so I have a couple questions.

1. TomTom is releasing a turn by turn GPS app at some point, and I'd love to be able to use it, but I got this iPhone with no data plan(I'm in Canada), so will an app like that require a data plan? Does using the GPS at all for any app require a data plan?
    2. When 3.0 is released on Wednesday, the update includes MMS. With an unlimited SMS plan from Fido, will that include the ability to send MMS?
    3. I've heard that with Roger's you can call and have them put a data block on your account so that you don't accidentally use data, and be charged ridiculous amounts for it, can you do the same with Fido? If not, is there another way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

2. bjquach macrumors 6502

iPhone will require data plan no matter what since it uses data constantly even if you do not see it happening unless you turn Airplane Mode on.

I believe MMS uses data to send the pictures/videos over the air.

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I was unaware you could put a data block on the iPhone, since it requires a data package. MMS uses data so a data block makes it so you can't send MMS (in the US at least). And the tom tom app will require data almost certainly.

4. dpmcdonald macrumors member

I was under the impression that the TomTom app was 3Gs exclusive because it uses the built-in compass feature.. Am I wrong?

5. maclovin' thread starter macrumors regular

maclovin'

Ya, iPhone does require a data plan in the US, but here in Canada you are able to get it without one. So my questions still stand ;)

No it will work with the 3G, but it just won't use the compass feature.

6. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Well they gave the presentation during the 3.0 deal so probably its 3G and 3G S. Orentation picks up once you start moving, like any GPS. If I move north the coordinates update north, and orientation switches. The compass on the other hand, you can be standing in one spot spinning around and it will update.

7. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I told you, MMS uses data (after all, MMS is sending a picture which is well over the 160 character SMS limit), so if you block data, there is a 99.99% chance you block MMS. AT&T for example cant block data on my family plan phones that are not iPhones, because that blocks MMS on those lines also. The network just picks up that its MMS and doesn't bill you.

8. maclovin' thread starter macrumors regular

maclovin'

OK, so your saying if I block data it will also block MMS, but if I leave data unblocked, MMS messages won't count but will at least work? edit: missed your point above.

9. Lenxal macrumors regular

Pretty much you'll need data for gps.
    overall you need data unless you want a large bill.

10. maclovin' thread starter macrumors regular

maclovin'

Why will I need data unless I want a large bill? I'm not going to be using anything that requires data, that's why I'm inquiring about the TomTom app....if it uses data I won't use it, if it doesn't I will. I'm a university student...I had an iPod touch, and got an iPhone because it's an iPod touch that I can make phone calls on and text people with. For the most part I don't need data...the extra $30/month wasn't worth it(and too expensive) for me.

11. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

1. Yes, GPS apps will use data

2. Yes, you can still MMS with data blocked, but it might not be included in your plan. Rogers is upgrading its value packs to include MMS (also increasing the price by $5), so Fido will probably do the same. If your text plan doesn't include MMS, they are $.50 each to send and free to receive.

3. Yes, Fido can block data on your account.

12. maclovin' thread starter macrumors regular

maclovin'

Hey a response from a Canadian!! Thanks alot for the responses. Helps immensely!