New iPhone Owner!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by aztecaa, Apr 22, 2012.

1. aztecaa, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012

aztecaa macrumors newbie

Thanks for having this site to help us newbies!

New owner of used, badly cracked screen, iPhone!
    So first things first,
    All I know is it is 8gb solid shiny black round back and it has 4.1 software.
    Can anyone tell me what generation and is it 3g, 4g etc.
    I plugged it in to my PC and connected it to iTunes which says to update the software to 4.2. I haven't put my sim card in it yet from my blackberry phone.
    I believe it is unlocked but how do I tell if it is jailbroke or is that the same as unlocked phone?
    Thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. aztecaa thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe your right, 3G. It has the apple logo at the top and a camera in the corner. Is it a 3GS or just 3G? Does this iPhone have a flash light anywhere on it?
    Does the 4G iPhone have a place to put your sim card in?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He said when he plugged it to iTunes it asked him if he wants to update to 4.2.1
    So going by that I was thinking its an iPhone 3G but not 100%
    The op doesn't seem like he knows much about iPhones in general so before he gets into jb and unlocking I'd suggest getting familiar with the basics first.

6. aztecaa thread starter macrumors newbie

I been learning about the iPad new to that too, pretty much the same layout from what I see and reading my butt off lately on both.
    After I install the updated 4.2 then I'll go into the phone and check it out further, put my sim in and test it. Thanks for the help!

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I concur. You're probably right as the 8 GB 3GS was a late arrival when the 4 was released...

B

8. aztecaa, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

aztecaa thread starter macrumors newbie

after hours waiting for the phone to update to 4.2 it finally said it could not update and now it's asking me to restore the phone. What should I do. don't want to loose all the software that has been put in the phone.
    Now the phone screen shows a iTunes logo and the white cord for a short time and then powers off! What caused this to happen?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

10. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

This.

11. aztecaa, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

I can't even restore the phone. Says error 1015 can not be restored and then asks to restore again. I'm stuck here and my phone stuck on that screen with the iTunes and cord logo. Any suggestions?-------------------------

Another day and I finally got the phone screen back on. Stayed up all night crash course!
    So 6.15 baseband and 4,2 OS.
    I spend lots of time in Baja and would like to use my phone in Mexico. Right now the phone is not recognizing the tel cel sim card. Do I have to change back to 4.1OS for it to recognize foreign sims?

12. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

You need to go to Cydia and install "Ultrasn0w" in order for the sim to work if it has a 6.15 baseband. good luck

and on the side note I can confirm its a iPhone 3G not 3GS

13. aztecaa, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

Opened Cydia and did the updates. Installed ultrasnow and it ran and there were 2 errors, one regarding repoultrasnow and the other GMG I believe. I had the sim card in the whole time and restarted the iPhone, took awhile to come back on. Once it did the "NO SERVICE" disappeared from the top left corner, no bars showing. I turned off the 3G and hit on/off airplane mode 2 times.
    It seems like there is something else needed to read foreign sim cards. It does not show my number or the service which is TELCEL here or sim card number.

Someone mentioned to me that once you update to 4.2 then back to 4.1 it will not work. Is that true? Do I need to go back up to 4.2 again? I just read about "SHSH blobs on file for the iOS " I erased it when trying to fix the iPhone earlier on, so I guess I need to go back up to 4.2. Learning the hard way here. I hope I can get the phone to work internationally. So back to the drawing board 4.2 here we come. Damnnnn!

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, 4.2 or 4.1 wont make a difference.
    Are you sure you reflashed the ipad bb. Cause if you try to restore to official firmware while having the ipad bb then your baseband will be in inconsistent state and wont recognize any sim at all.
    Also try remove and reinstall ultrasnow.
    reset network settings, restart the phone a few times.

15. aztecaa thread starter macrumors newbie

Yaaaa! Finally hooked it up with minor setback.
    Friend of mine owns a small cel phone store and so we went to his parts guy and bought a new touch screen and a charger kit for $20.
    Then we went to have it put on, found out the speaker didn't work so replaced that with used one.
    The guy there said that I needed to install ultrasnow which I thought repo666ultrasnow was the same. So once he installed USnow it all works.
    Went home and plugged it in and it started disconnecting and connecting, so I guess the plug part which is part of the speaker is not working. Off today to try and find that part. The phone looks great and next will be downloading something to get most wifi.
    Thanks for all the help here, looking for a 4G or 4Gs ATnT iPhone next to buy!

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I kept telling you to install ultrasnow.
    Having the repo available in the cydia sources doesn't mean the package in installed.

17. aztecaa thread starter macrumors newbie

My brain was so tired from doing all this. Plus the wifi was not that great. Your right though, I was having a hard time with Cydia. It wanted to upgrade I didn't then I did, then I couldn't figure out how to get back to sources in Cydia. The tech guy told me I had it all down but needed to do that last step that you mentioned, which I was a little confused. But, not bad for a Newbie!:D

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced