Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
So I've seen what this 16gb iphone was capable of and I wanted to try it. I'm currently a tmo blackberry user. I will be using one of these unlocking/jailbreak programs. It seems pwnage tool is the way to go as everything is reversible, right? I cant damage the phone?

So I basically want advice. Where do I start. I tihnk pwnage for windows was just released. I do not want to brick this iphone for sure. Any beginner steps for a new iphone user would be greatly appreciated. First time to Apple products as well. Maybe this was the entrance/push I needed to fully convert in the near future :) TIA

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I went from a T-Mo BB to an iPhone recently also. :) I used ZiPhone before pwnage came out, but yes, people seem to agree that the latter is better. Is it possible to damage the phone? Yes, probably, there is some risk with any unlocking software. It would be a lie to tell you otherwise. But the pwnage tool seems to be the best.

You put your SIM in, jailbreak / activate / unlock it, and then after you restart it, it will automatically join the T-Mobile network with your phone number. After that, all you have to do is go to Settings -> General -> Network -> EDGE -> and fill in the APN as wap.voicestream.com (if this doesn't work, for some users, it's internet2.voicestream.com). Leave the username and p/w blank. That's it. :)

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Cool, so you can really relate.

What do you think I'll miss the most from the blackberry? I'm not so sure, I'll get used to the iphone's keyboard that quickly. I was trying it out in the store and made a couple of mistakes. Another thing, can you lock the phone with a pin code sort of like the blackberry. Also, I'm a big jivetalk user. The way it alerts you of a message with light indicator, vibrate, or sound...........is there a messenger that works like jivetalk which includes all the popular messengers?

Oh, and I'm going to wait for the pwnage to be released for windows. In the meantime, what do you suggest I do with my new iphone? :)

I keep seeing winpwn eta 1 hour, is this correct?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'd be happy to share my experience. :) This is what I miss most about the Blackberry:

- The BB handles being in and out of reception much better. It uses every little moment of reception to get new messages. In contrast, the iPhone wants solid reception to use pull e-mail. The upshot is that if you spend several hours (or days) in poor reception, the BB will continue to send and receive all your messages, and the iPhone can honestly fail miserably to get any new mail at all until you return to stable coverage.

- The BB is much easier to use one-handed

- My experience so far is that the BB used a lot less power and lasted longer in between charges.

This is what I like most about the iPhone:

- The interface just makes me happy. :)

- I really do happily use it for a mix of its functions -- e-mail, web (Safari is fantastic), and iPod, as well as phone.

- Being able to sync directly to iTunes (I don't use Windows) is sooo much nicer than PocketMac and MissingSync.

What do you think I'll miss the most from the blackberry? I'm not so sure, I'll get used to the iphone's keyboard that quickly. I was trying it out in the store and made a couple of mistakes. Another thing, can you lock the phone with a pin code sort of like the blackberry. Also, I'm a big jivetalk user. The way it alerts you of a message with light indicator, vibrate, or sound...........is there a messenger that works like jivetalk which includes all the popular messengers?

The keyboard, eh, I don't really have strong feelings one way or another. I'm still slowly improving on the iPhone keyboard.

PIN code: yes (four digit numeric PIN only), but there is no capability to encrypt the iPhone's disk. I wouldn't have even thought about one if it didn't have that!

Jivetalk: If you jailbreak, there are some installable apps for IM, and there are also some actually quite good webapps. The thing that's a bit different about the iPhone is that most applications do not multitask -- they only run in the foreground. There are exceptions to this (e.g. there's iFlickr, with which you can take a photo and let it upload to your Flickr account automatically in the background). I don't know if there's an IM app that works in the background, though. So far, I've played with some, but I haven't IM'd that much on my iPhone. None of them are quite as ... uninterrupted... as Jivetalk on a BB, though, from what I've seen.

This looks promising: http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008...lient-for-iphone-to-support-gtalk-and-jabber/

Although you might have to use Jabber gateways to get non-Jabber support (have not personally tried it yet).

Apps can communicate with you by vibration and sound, obviously, and also by modifying their menu icons. There are no external LEDs or anything like that, though.

As I don't use Windows, I have to defer to others on winpwn.... I don't know anything about that at all.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
I see, so since most IM apps work in the foreground and say you want to surf or something and leave the IM app. Does it totally disconnect? If so, will your messages come back once you log back in. That kinds stinks, not being able to run in the background. I'm surprised there isnt a background IM app yet?

As far as unlocking goes. Say I use iliberty, can I re-unlock it if you will, with winpwn when it comes out. Or once I use one unlocking app, I'm stuck with it?

There are some drawbacks I see but overall, I think the interface and entertainment value alone outweigh the cons. I hope :D

idragon

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
So I've seen what this 16gb iphone was capable of and I wanted to try it. I'm currently a tmo blackberry user. I will be using one of these unlocking/jailbreak programs. It seems pwnage tool is the way to go as everything is reversible, right? I cant damage the phone?

So I basically want advice. Where do I start. I tihnk pwnage for windows was just released. I do not want to brick this iphone for sure. Any beginner steps for a new iphone user would be greatly appreciated. First time to Apple products as well. Maybe this was the entrance/push I needed to fully convert in the near future :) TIA
pwnage for windows has still to be released

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
That kinds stinks, not being able to run in the background. I'm surprised there isnt a background IM app yet?

I think it was part of the hacking process... it took developers a while to figure out how. And officially, these apps are all unsupported. All "installed" apps are unofficial / hacked at this time. When the iTunes store for apps goes live, there will be installed apps there, but the iPhone SDK also doesn't support background processing, and so these apps are not expected to be able to do things like receive IMs in the background.

It was a design decision on Apple's part, in terms of maximizing the ability of the limited processor to provide a good visual experience, I guess. Most of the time, it's just fine, but in the case of IM, it's a serious weakness.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
pwnage for windows has still to be released

Yeah I see that. Seems theres a sort of delay. I'm really waiting for this, before I try iliberty. If winpwn works for me when it comes out, soon I hope, I'm donating :)

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
I think it was part of the hacking process... it took developers a while to figure out how. And officially, these apps are all unsupported. All "installed" apps are unofficial / hacked at this time. When the iTunes store for apps goes live, there will be installed apps there, but the iPhone SDK also doesn't support background processing, and so these apps are not expected to be able to do things like receive IMs in the background.

It was a design decision on Apple's part, in terms of maximizing the ability of the limited processor to provide a good visual experience, I guess. Most of the time, it's just fine, but in the case of IM, it's a serious weakness.

If iphone really wants to convert not only windows users but blackberry users, I think they need to fix that asap. Now I believe the browser based im apps, like flickim, work in the background since they are on a browser? Correct? Or am I confusing concepts here. Until I actually get to play with it, I wont know for sure and I'll have these questions heh.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
What do you want me to do about it? :p

As far as I know, no browser-based apps are able to function in the background. I don't even think scripts are carried out or rendering is done on pages that are not currently active (the browser can view multiple pages at the same time, loosely analogously to tabs in a desktop browser).

EDIT: This looks promising also:

http://www.fring.com/blog/?p=226

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
What do you want me to do about it? :p

EDIT: This looks promising also:

http://www.fring.com/blog/?p=226

Well, first I would like you to prepare a letter to Mr. Jobs. :D Haha

I did notice fring. I remember when I was waiting for them to come out with something for the blackberry. Not sure it ever did. It just came out for the iphone. But same schmeal huh, runs in the foreground? Also, voip cant be used over EDGE, tmo in our case?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.