New iPhone: Pre order or Buy in store (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AlexGyani, Sep 29, 2011.

1. AlexGyani macrumors newbie

Hello!

Having been without an iPhone for a few months now (I dropped the last one a few months ago and felt it best to wait until the new one came out) I will be getting the new model as soon as it comes out- whether it be the 4S or 5.

However, previously I can bought it through my carrier, but now I am left with a choice: do I preorder or wander down to the Apple Store.

Does anyone know which would be faster/better/harder?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. charliecc, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

charliecc macrumors regular

We have no idea of stock levels, but assuming it's similar to iPhone4, if you go to an Apple store you'll have to get there very early, and be prepared to queue for a long, long time.

You should NOT pre-order, nobody should. If you pre-order, even if you're among the first you might have to wait several weeks. I pre-ordered the iPhone 4 within 20 mins of it being available, it took 3 weeks to arrive and everyone else I know had a similar experience.

Best bet is to go to a carrier store (a provincial one), if you don't mind it being locked to that carrier. For example, 3 hours before opening at an O2 store and you'll most likely be in the top 10 (excludes major stores, like Oxford street etc).

---
    iPhone stuff
    Yes, I lied, pre-order is the best method, but that's what I'm doing, so the fewer the better. Other info is legit.

3. drober30 macrumors 6502a

Pre-order and try to buy in store, which ever one you get first wins!

4. Diiiiips macrumors regular

Wow that sucks if you have to wait weeks for a preorder to arrive. I'm sure no one else had to experience that though

I'm guessing they ring fence the money on your card when you preorder so would you still be able to cancel if you managed to pick it up at a network's store?

5. nathanlloyd macrumors member

Yep totally agree with this. I did this on the iPhone 4 launch and was about 10th in line an hour before the doors opened. :)

6. Catdogchicken macrumors regular

Do the O2 store let you buy without a contract ?

7. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

If you are determined enough it should be relatively easy to get hold of one on the day.

Bear in mind that Apple pre-orders are usually quite good so that's probably your best bet if you get in early enough.

Having said that, if you are prepared to sacrifice some sleep just go queue up.

My plan (if online pre-orders aren't going to go up), is to get an early night the day before release, wake up about 2am then head down to a really nice mall not too far from me and queue up at the Apple Store.

It's nice, out of the way, kinda relaxing. I'll just be reading on my iPad the whole time anyway :)