New iphone Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sadievan, Jul 1, 2010.

1. sadievan macrumors regular

I just got a new 3GS 32GB iPhone and have a couple of questions.

1. When charging, do most of you leave your case on or off?

2. When just out and about, do most of you disable WiFi to save on the battery?

Thanks,

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

1) Why would you need to take the case off? What's the advantage?

2) Yes, I preserve my battery when I know I won't have access to a charge.

3. sadievan thread starter macrumors regular

Didn't know if it would get too hot being in a case while charging. Actually it's no advantage to take it off, easier to leave it on. But I didn't want to do anything that might damage the phone. So I guess you leave your case on.

Thanks for the help.

4. egk69 macrumors 6502

1- Yep I never take the case off the phone...

2- Yes!, I always have the wifi and bluetooth off unless im going to use it!

A few months ago I started turning off 3G when I go to sleep cause I saw it kinda preserves battery, specially if you dont have good reception, but then i got lazy and never did it again...

5. sadievan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input.

6. sadievan thread starter macrumors regular

Thought of another question.

How long do you charge it for? Just plug it in at night and leave it charge overnight? That is what I have been doing.

7. Fant macrumors regular

1) Yes I leave it in case when charging
    2) I leave wifi on all the time as it doesnt seem to use much battery. I leave bluetooth on during the weekdays for my commute but turn it off on the weekends.

8. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

Yea lithium ion batteries and chargers are both built to not overcharge, after it reaches 70% charge it cuts the power in about half and keeps decreasing power to it as it gets more and more full, in fact your battery will never actually become fully charged, even though it will say it is.. this is a safety feature, even one milliamp over it's rating will make the lithium unstable and seriously dangerous.. so.. it's ok to leave it on it's charger as much or as often as you want, it's built to keep anything bad from happening..

..same with overheating in the case, it won't.. if it starts getting hot it will decrease the allowed voltage into the cell, this is built into a chip in the cell

9. sadievan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that info. The charging info explains why when I first got it and charged it overnight, it seemed like the battery meter dropped a little bit right away. Not a lot mind you just a little. Will see what happens when I charge it tonight.

On the charging in the case issue, would this be the same for my ipod? Is it OK to charge them in the case. I have a Classic and a Nano.

10. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I used to leave my case on and yes turn off the wifi when out and about.