new iPhone - re-pairing to a watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by josh bear, Sep 25, 2015.

1. josh bear macrumors regular

Hi

Just got my 6s. My watch is paired to my previous iPhone, I know how to unpair but do I then lose all my settings / apps etc i.e. do they stay on the watch when I unpair so i can then just pair with the new phone?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Josh

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

You won't lose any settings (except pace calibration, the one you run with the phone to let it learn). The phone will make a back up of the watch. But you should make a backup of your old phone to iCloud first before re-pairing.

3. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

And if you're backing up in iTunes, be sure to enable encrypted backup unless you don't care about preserving your health/activity data.

5. papbot macrumors 6502

Or make an encrypted backup to iTunes. That will retain all your passwords and health data. But as stated you will lose motion calibration, any synced music playlist and any Apple Pay data regardless of method.

6. nasa25 macrumors 65816

for some reason my watch won't pair with the 6s. It hangs at the pairing screen and then when I cancel the pair on my iPhone it says 'unpairing apple watch'. Can't even pair manually because my watch doesn't display the 6 digit code, only the pair screen

7. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

Would you even have to repair the watch? If i back up my 6, won't that backup have the watch paring data, so wouldn't it transfer to the 6s?

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Except it's still paired to the old iPhone. You need to kick it off the old iPhone, either from unpairing it or doing an erase all contents and settings from within the watch.

9. josh bear thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all. It worked. Sort of. My app layout is extremely messed up. Re the pairing I had the same issue ie wouldn't pair then said it was unpairing. Finally it paired.

10. bmustaf macrumors regular

I'd back it up to iTunes (encrypted) if you can. On even the fastest connections, iCloud is orders of magnitude slower, and backs up less and relies more on individual apps' sync feature stop restore data, etc.

Nothing (still) beats a USB cable to iTunes to do a full (encrypted) backup (emphasis on the encryption, because if you do that, it will backup passwords & health data seamlessly, too).