New Iphone Release Dates!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bid2ask77, Jan 11, 2011.

1. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

So now will there be two release dates one in january for verizon and one in June for AT&T. or do you think that will be a dual band phone coming out in June that will cover both comanys.

2. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Im guessing Dual for sure

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That seems to be the rumor. Makes sense but then you have to consider the likelihood of 4G and the iPhone. Does apple go with 4G for verizon and 3G for ATT?

4. shandyman Suspended

I'm going with universal release dates, since really this is just another iPhone 4 just a CDMA one, if there was some other tweaks to the internals, i might agree with dual release dates, but they're not, they already said they'd been working for a while on doing a CDMA one, so whats to say that they haven't made the next iPhone with CDMA version in parallel to? so i think there will be a verizon phone released in June with the usual rest of the world one. especially since its probably only going to be a slight tweak like the 3G - 3GS.

5. scotsrule08 macrumors newbie

New iphone

So verizon announced the new iphone but since it dosnt have a sim card does that mean that cellular companies such as metropcs can flash the iphone

6. vachargerfan macrumors regular

Doubt it. Best case is that it can be jailbreaked and unlocked (if you can do that with CDMA). You can bet that Apple will have it locked down pretty tight

7. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Unlocking a CDMA phone isn't the hard part, it's getting the carrier to activate it. It'll be interesting if these other CDMA carriers, which traditionally only activate their branded phones, will make an exception and activate a CDMA iPhone.

8. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

I'm guessing dual release as well, the real question being whether VZW's will be 4G or not. AT&T is calling HSPA+ 4G now so the new AT&T iPhone will definitely be called 4G. The truthfulness of that claim is up to you to decide.

9. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Dual-band phones or "world phones" have existed for years and years...the tech is pretty mature right now to make it happen, yet Apple decided to make a separate CDMA-only model. They could have made the VZ iPhone a "world phone" now, but chose not to. Why would they then make a dual-band one 6 months later?

I guess there's a chance they wanted to rush a CDMA iPhone 4 to market and so making it CDMA only would mean they could release the exact same phone without making it a "new" version....and then wait for June when the 5th gen iPhone gets released to return to a single phone being dual band.

I highly doubt it though--eventually we will return to one iphone working everywhere, when LTE is advanced enough.

10. jacollins macrumors 6502a

I think you mean dual mode vs dual band. "Band" usually means the frequency on the same thing (ie. different bands for GSM or different bands for CDMA).