new iphone released with 2.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redgaz26, Jun 8, 2008.

1. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

steve said end of june for 2.0 an I don't see the new iphone getting released with 1.4 on on it so if it's out this week 2.0 must be early and the app store ready???

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

3. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

is it possible that when you plug in the iPhone to register with iTunes it will load in the software at that time?

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Thats what I'm hoping for....but also possible we'll see a 1.5 for iPhone 3G, with the juice features coming at the end of the month.

5. mtfield macrumors 6502

I agree too.. I imagine the app store will be launched with only some of the bigger company's apps as the launch foundations.. and release the final sdk to the rest of the developers at wwdc so that more apps begin to populate the store within weeks

6. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

i was sort of thinking that as well but their servers would be going insane, but on the other hand if the phones have been sent all over the world(as some reports are saying) the new firmware would have had to be on them.
    tomorrow will be fun!!!
    :D

edit - another reason to think 2.0 will be on the new phones is the millions of us who have iphone 1 will also want to download 2.0 so the servers will be very very very busy

7. rssfed23 macrumors member

If they did ship with 1.5 and you'd have to upgrade to 2.0 via iTunes, who bet Apple would charge for it?

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

Anyone who thinks that "Free software update" means that a charge is forthcoming.

9. mtfield macrumors 6502

seems like if they charged for it it would kinda kill the whole "free" part of it :rolleyes: jobs has made it pretty clear that touch owners will always have to pay for these major upgrades and iphone owners will not..

10. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

it's already been said(by steve jobs) that 2.0 will be a fee upgrade for all iphone users, ipod touch users will have to pay(shame:D)

u beat me to it mt!!!!!!

11. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

New iPhone and 2.0 will be released at the same time.

12. redgaz26 thread starter macrumors 68020

redgaz26

but when but when????????????

13. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

i hope in 17hrz 54minz because i'll be in the Apple Store then...but who knows!

14. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

I doubt the 3G iPhone will come with OS 2.0 preinstalled. Think about it, there are supposedly going to be millions of these things at launch, they've already been manufactured, packaged, and shipped overseas to Apple. Yet iPhone OS 2.0 isn't final yet - what, are they going to flash all the millions of 3G iPhones sitting in their warehouses? No, chances are it'll have good ole 1.1.4 preinstalled, and iTunes will let you know that your OS needs upgrading.

15. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

^That is more than likely NOT the case. Firmware 2.0 has been ready for a while now, and has shipped with ALL 3G iPhones.

If you don't believe me, then please tell me how i am suppose to use 3G with my 1.1.4 firmware.

Is Apple going to give me a "3G HACK" CD/DVD with my purchase?

16. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

By upgrading over iTunes like I said, duh. But we know as a fact that Firmware 2.0 hasn't been ready for a while now, they just released a new Beta of it a little over a week ago.

17. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

So it comes with 1.1.4, and the first thing you have to do to the iPhone is upgrade it's firmware?

That's not how it will work.

And that was the SDK Beta, NOT the firmware. The a new version of the beta firmware hasn't been seeded in weeks, even over a month i believe.

18. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Any 3G iPhones that have already been boxed up will probably have some earlier software on them whether it be a modified 1.1.4 or a preliminary 2.0 version. The latest 2.0 build released to beta testers was released on May 28th, so that doesn't give them much time to re-flash thousands of iPhones if there is indeed a launch this week. But then again, it's all a matter of timing...

19. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Pretty much every release of a new SDK beta version has coincided with a new 2.0 firmware release. Actually the 2.0 firmware was usually released to enterprise beta testers a day before the developers got a hold of it. Last beta release, 5A308, was seeded just 11 days ago on May 28th.

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

No need to reflash if once you've got the phone Apple basically force you to get the latest iTunes, (and then) forces you to get the update for the phone...
    Having to update your iPhone as soon as you've got it isn't the best start to a purchase though.

21. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Iam not sayig that iPhone2 will not have 2.0 firmware. But 3G is hardware not software. Could still use 1.1.4 on a 3G phone different modem version however.

22. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Nope, not the best way to do things... but if they are launching this week I see no other way around having customers flash their new iPhones when they get home to activate it.

23. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I'm guessing it will still need to be able to place calls out of the box, at least to 911. That was the case with the 1st gen iPhone. Is it an FCC requirement that all phones be able to reach emergency services whether they're currently active or not?

24. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I wouldn't imagine they will have them this week.

25. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

apple will be stupid if they rewrite 1.1.4 for iphone 3G. they would have to add GPS support, 3G, video conferencing (possibly), and other stuff JUST to cover the new hardware for a FEW WEEKS. 2.0 already has the new iphone's hardware support.