New iPhone: Restore from iCloud backup or use iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BulkHedd, Sep 18, 2014.

1. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I will be receiving my new iPhone 6 tomorrow and I do not plan to set it up as a new phone. I had fairly recently restored my iPhone 5 as a new phone so I'm just going to restore from backup to the new phone.

I know that it takes quite a while to install all the apps from the iCloud backup so I'm thinking it would be better to do a backup to iTunes and then restore from that. It should go much faster I would think.

Any thoughts either way?

2. davefromca macrumors 6502

Yes a local back up should go faster then over the internet.

3. bigchief macrumors 6502a

I always backup and restore in itunes. I like every thing back in place where I had it on my previous phone. It's always worked well for me in the past.

4. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Yeah, when I restored my 5 as a new device I had not backed up to iTunes in a while so I had no choice but to use iCloud. I just crashed and would not get past the Apple logo. I waited like 20 minutes.

I remember it took hours to get everything downloaded again.

5. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Well, phone arrived and I did the restore from iTunes, which only took a few minutes. But the apps are all installing from the Cloud. I thought iTunes would transfer them. When I backed up the iPhone 5 it asked if I wanted to back up all the apps and I did.

I'm still waiting for the activation from AT&T anyway so no big deal.

6. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Now I have a problem. The iPhone 6 was restoring apps and did not show to be activated yet. I noticed that my iPhone 5 now showed No Service. I waited a few minutes and the iPhone 6 still also showed No Service so I decided to reboot it.

After rebooting the iPhone 6 activated on AT&T but now the app downloads are not continuing. Nearly all of my app icons are just showing as gray and "Waiting" with no progress wheels anywhere.

I don't know what to do.

7. mlsusa, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

mlsusa macrumors regular

I'm having this same problem. Don't really have much more to say than that. Just wanted to point out that others are having the issue so there's obviously a problem with iTunes or a backup from a 5 to the new 6 or something else.

EDIT: I gave up and decided to set up the 6 as a new device. Looks like this may be more an issue with iTunes copying over data. It may be getting stuck at apps but it could be anything. I'll try again and this time will try copying over one type at a time as opposed to everything (e.g. photos first, then videos, yadda, yadda, yadda, and do the apps last).

8. sonic625 macrumors newbie

With the massive amount of restores I am betting the app downloads will be a bit slower the next few weeks.

9. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I tried doing the restore from backup again and it just ended up right back where it was. Most of the icons grayed out without the progress wheels. And no spinning gear at the top either.
    How can I tell if they are actually downloading or not?

10. AppleChic76 macrumors 6502a

AppleChic76

I prefer iTunes. It's faster and iCloud royally screws up my music and contacts.

11. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I did use iTunes and it transferred my wallpaper, contacts, mail settings, etc. But the apps are coming from the Cloud.

12. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to do the major ones for me and it's dragging big time. I'm going to restore as new when I get home

13. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I discovered that if I go to my purchased apps in the App Store and choose "Not on this phone" I can manually download them but it's tedious.

14. mlsusa macrumors regular

Most likely. I was hoping it would use the files I had locally but guess it was simpler that the process downloads them from the servers.

15. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I'm going to start clean and just set it up as a new phone, then enable iCloud sync for everything.

16. has.marvel macrumors member

I am having a similar problem. Besides not being able to get my new phone to activate (thanks AT&T), I can't get my apps to reload. Also funny stuff going on with the amount of space being used on the device. It will show the spinning on both phone and iTunes but it will stick on an app. If I unplug it from the computer and reattach, it will usually load a couple of apps and then freeze with the spinning balls. Looks like iTunes has a problem.

17. Rick73tii macrumors member

I am having the same problem. Restoring from iTunes by copying Apps keeps getting stuck. Swapped sim cards but new iPhone still not working. I don't remember previous upgrades being this bad.

18. Mslittlebookowl macrumors member

It keeps getting stuck on mine too! Maybe I should try the cloud? Anyone switched and tried the cloud?