Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
I just did a restore to a new iPhone and confused about a few things.

The backup is supposed to be encrypted. But it seems that I had to re-setup a few things.

Touch ID did not transfer to the new phone. Is that normal? The fingerprints are stored only in the original phone? I thought they were now stored encrypted on the cloud? Either way, not a big deal, just an inconvenience to set them all up again.

Also, Wallet. I had to reinstall all of my credit cards. Now they all seemed to be stored in the phone, or iCloud, but each one had to be reauthorized with the bank. Is that normal? Would there be any issues if I lost my phone in another country, bought a new one and had to restore in that country if I tried to authorize them? I know my credit cards have thrown up some red flags just over transactions originated in some countries (despite notifying them ahead of time of my trip), so it would be a concern if that happened when restoring the phone, and I lost access to my cards. Again, I thought this was all encrypted, so it could just be restored.

Also, Siri had to be set up again. Normal? I’m not sure why those voice samples couldn’t be downloaded to the new phone?

Finally, my Location settings had to be set up again for all of my apps. Surely that can’t be normal? Why would simply moving to a new phone cause those to be reset? In fact in Settings, the correct settings were selected, but I had to reconfirm them by selecting them again, even though they indicated they were already correctly selected. That has to be a bug, right?

Also, my wifi passwords seemed not have been restored. I was required to renter passwords which I haven’t entered for years. Is that normal?

Maybe all of this is normal, but it sure is disappointing if so. And some of this I might not be able to do if I were traveling and had to replace an iPhone without another device to help get passwords, etc. I’m hoping something went wrong during the restore for some of this?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Pretty sure that as least as far as something like Touch ID goes, one of the big things about is that it's not stored in the cloud or really even just plainly on the drive, but in the Secure Enclave that is there on each device and separate from everything else.

Reactions: dk001 and nicho

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Also, my wifi passwords seemed not have been restored. I was required to renter passwords which I haven’t entered for years. Is that normal?

This is the only one that isn't normal... Do you use icloud keychain? How long did you wait - it could be that they *would* have been restored but hadn't finished downloading yet.

The rest - it's normal.

Reactions: dk001

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
Pretty sure that as least as far as something like Touch ID goes, one of the big things about is that it's not stored in the cloud or really even just plainly on the drive, but in the Secure Enclave that is there on each device and separate from everything else.

I was pretty sure that was the case too ... but reading stuff on a rumor site messes with your head ... I’m pretty sure I read that they were working on storing such data in the cloud, or maybe somebody wanted it too... LOL

Anyway that’s the least of it. It’s just a bummer because I wish I could just restore and go, instead of having to set up the main services I use on my phone again,

This is the only one that isn't normal... Do you use icloud keychain? How long did you wait - it could be that they *would* have been restored but hadn't finished downloading yet.

The rest - it's normal.

I was afraid of that. I do use iCloud Keychain. Perhaps it was the wait. I did the restore on my Mac via iTunes, but after I removed it, had to get it on WiFi to speed up the downloading of some of the apps, which I guess hadn’t completed after the restore. So maybe that’s it... but it sure seems like that would have been stored on restore locally.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
One thing I found, this is normal. Items like TouchID and many passwords like Banks (including Wallet) are tied specifically to your device. Info may transfer but you have to have them reauthorized. However the WiFi id/passwords, that should have transferred.

Outside of the WiFi sounds about norm.

Reactions: Minorite

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i use onePassword
the other day I needed to edit out some old iClout keyChain entries. It was totally un readable dis organized. Than stuff is just dangerous.

on the other hand my onePassword effort is totally organized and protected.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
It looks like Bluetooth pairing is also lost? I’ve had to re-pair all of my devices.

All in all, not as easy as I thought it was going to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.