New iPhone sans headphone jack - can you charge your phone and listen to music at the same time??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brandon8419, Jul 23, 2016.

1. brandon8419 macrumors member

I know I can't be the only one who thought about this (apologies if there is a post about it already)

I listen to a lot of music and stream a lot of podcasts/news which drains my battery, so I often charge my phone while I'm listening at the same time. If the headphone jack is gone, and you want to listen to music through the dongle but also want to charge your phone, what are you supposed to do?

And no, getting wireless headphones as the alternative will not make me happy lol

2. Appleaker macrumors 68020

They'll likely push wireless headphones rather than Lightning as people are suggesting so that's what you'll want to be using for audio (if you don't want to because of quality, I'm guessing that will improve duse to BT5). The adapter that supposedly comes with will hopefully have a lightning port on it as well as a 3.5mm jack.

3. deany, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016

deany macrumors 68030

deany

I've asked this question to, no one seems to know.
    My take on it is that the iPhone will be able to charge wirelessly - on a pod.

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

No one here has actually seen the iPhone 7 yet, so the best anyone can do is guess and talk about leaks and rumours. You'll know for sure what the situation is the same time as the rest of the world, some time in September.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like we'll need to first find out if the phone will or won't have a headphone jack, and then if it doesn't what Apple might offer as far as headphones and/or adapters.

6. deany, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016

deany macrumors 68030

deany

I've always said apple will commit 'commercial suicide' if a free lightning to 3.5mm dongle isn't in the box for the '7'.
    Apple cant afford to lose any of the 10% iPhone owners who use non stock headphones (like me) or any potential android migrators (a lot).

7. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

they want people to do things via bluetooth i imagine so their theory is you can listen to music via bluetooth and charge it. Sadly they aren't giving people choice but telling you this is how you do it

8. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Why not wireless headphones?

If your listening to music or podcast you don't really need to charge and listen at the same time. The 6s can play audio up to 50 hours. Of course if your playing video and games that would be a different issue entirely.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 24, 2016 ---
    The 10% could easily afford Bluetooth headphones.

Any potential migrators usually use the headphones provided in the box. So that's a non issue

9. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Did you just make that number up?

10. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Maybe cost isn't the issue, maybe some of the 10% dont want bluetooth and inferior quality.

Apple cant afford to lose any of the android users that dont use the included in box ear buds, based on 10% this is a very considerable number.
    No! apparently surveys show 90% of iPhone users that listen to music on their iPhone use the included in box ear buds.
    So 10% use their own earphones.
    I was amazed at the % "use their own'' I thought it would be a lot more
    cheers

11. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Audio quality, more batteries, not as convenient as unplugging and plugging into different devices, not all devices support wireless headphones...

12. lchlch, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016

lchlch macrumors 6502a

Some of the 10% inclusive of migrators is a really small niche.
    Dealing with batteries is kinda inconvenient but being wireless very liberating. You can walk 30 feet away from the transmiting device which is awesome. Ironically it's easier connect with various devices using wireless headphones because they can connect to 2 devices at once and that number would likely increase in the future.

Audio quality is better on a wired headphones but from my experience most people can't tell if a pair headphones are good or not. They just want more bass.

I've yet to see a modern that doesn't support wireless headphones...

13. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Yeah there are way too many topics asking questions about a product that hasn't even been announced yet. The next iPhone could very well still have a headphone jack. None of us know any more than anyone else.

The only people who can actually answer questions about the next iPhone are the ones that won't, because they probably want to keep their job.

14. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Hah, I was about to make a thread bringing up exactly this issue :)

Wireless charging is a possibility. It certainly would make a good new selling point. And they've been testing the tech on the AW now for a year. Something in my gut tells me it's not going to happen though...

I also suspect they won't include a 3.5mm + lightning dongle. It just seems too elaborate for Apple. I wouldn't be surprised if they included a lightning to 3.5mm dongle only. And forced people to buy a separate dongle if they wanted to listen to music and charge at the same time. At this point they're arrogant enough to do it.

And surely they'll be pushing bluetooth listening devices too.

15. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Wire will coexist with wireless almost forever, although for wireless headphone, things may be a bit different.
    I have seen those low-end relatively affordable Bluetooth headphones able to connect to only certain devices for apparent no reason. Audio Quality is also a problem. Plus, there is one more battery carrying around and you need to worry about that as well.