New Iphone screen size

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adam.bronstein, Apr 28, 2008.

1. adam.bronstein macrumors newbie

This tid-bit of news states the new iphone will have a screen size of 2.8 inches... Why the heck would they downsize from 3.5, expecially with the intro of GPS? They is boarderline to viewable when driving. I wonder if this is accurate?

Hon Hai Precision Industry Co Ltd (2317.TW) has won a contract from Apple Inc to assemble up to 25 mln 3G iPhone handsets, the Commercial Times reported, citing industry sources.

Asian suppliers of handset components have been told to prepare for initial delivery of 300,000 iPhones by the end of May, rising to 3 mln units in June, the report said.

The report said the 3G iPhone, with a 2.8-inch screen, is scheduled to hit the market in the second half of June.

Other than assembly, Hon Hai will also be responsible for supplying the new iPhone's plastic casing, it added.

philip.wang@afxasia.com

MMMM

2. jeffmc macrumors 6502

dude, it doesn't need to be view-able while driving
    someone told me it's just going to drive for you..

and if someone told me, it HAS be to true

3. xploit macrumors regular

smaller screen?

Unless it's for a clam shell iphone?

4. mpr131 macrumors member

5. weeman macrumors 6502

I dont think my fat fingers can handle typing on that thing.

6. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

I SINCERELY HOPE THIS IS FAKE... I LOVE MY CURRENT SCREEN SIZE AND AM GOING TO UPGRADE TO 3G IPHONE THE DAY IT COMES OUT, BUT THIS WILL WRECK EVERYTHING..

i call fake.

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Fake unless you've got a citation OP. All the articles i've seen haven't had anything about screens.

"Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) has reportedly landed orders for the assembly of second-generation iPhones from Apple supporting 3G, with shipments to begin in June this year, the Chinese-language Commercial Times has quoted sources at foreign institutional investors in Taipei as indicating.

The Commercial Times also cited sources at component suppliers as saying they have been instructed by Apple to begin preparing material supplies by the end of May.

Shipments of the 3G iPhone are expected to top three million units in June with the model likely to ship a total of 24-25 million units throughout its life-cycle, the paper added.

Reports of a 3G version iPhone are all unconfirmed at present, although industry watchers are fairly confident an announcement will be made at or around Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference 2008 (WWDC 2008) in June based on the current high market demand for the device, plus the proposed timing of the announcement, approximately one year after Apple launched the first-generation iPhone, is characteristic for the company.

Foxconn is currently the sole manufacturer of first-generation iPhones."

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20080428PB202.html

Unless we're talking Wednesday, November 15, 2006:
    "One analyst high in his convictions over an Apple-branded cell phone is American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu, who in September said the device had progressed to near completion as a production unit.

"The design will be an iPod nano-like candy bar form factor and come in three colors (we are not certain of the exact colors but we suspect black, white and platinum, similar to Apple's current color scheme of iPods and Macs)," he wrote in a note to clients."

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/06/11/15/foxconn_to_manufacture_apples_iphone___report.html

8. marcol macrumors regular

9. newyorksole macrumors 68020

i highly doubt they would make the screen smaller, I hope not

10. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I agree; fake. Why would Apple go and change a great thing?

The large screen is a making factor for the iPhone. It is too much of a plus that people like for Apple to get rid of it.

11. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Also Apple can't forget that they use a touch screen keyboard, making the screen smaller would make it harder to type.

12. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

definitely not... impossible. yes would reduce keyboard size...

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Smaller screen makes me want to "up-chuck;" sounds like a definite FAKE! :eek::mad:

14. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

If they did....

If there was going to be a smaller screen for the iPhone Nano or whatever you would call it, it would probably get rid of the qwerty and go with number keys like a regular cell phone. Samsung did this on their "iPhone Style" phone. No Qwerty, just the phone pad. i.e. Key 2 has ABC on it. Of course it would still be touch screen.

We will see. (or not see)

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

From http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock News/1445938/
    "Taiwan's Hon Hai to assemble 25 mln Apple 3G iPhones - report
    Sunday, April 27, 2008; Posted: 08:29 PM
    7 Stocks You Need To Know For Tomorrow -- Free Newsletter
    TAIPEI, Apr 28, 2008 (XFN-ASIA via COMTEX) -- HNHXY | news | PowerRating | PR Charts -- Hon Hai Precision Industry Co Ltd (2317.TW) has won a contract from Apple Inc to assemble up to 25 m
    ln 3G iPhone handsets, the Commercial Times reported, citing industry sources.

Asian suppliers of handset components have been told to prepare for initial delivery of 300,000 iPhones by the end of May, rising to 3 mln units in June, the report said.

The report said the 3G iPhone, with a 2.8-inch screen, is scheduled to hit the market in the second half of June.

Other than assembly, Hon Hai will also be responsible for supplying the new iPhone's plastic casing, it added."

From Digitimes:
    "
    Foxconn to assemble 3G iPhones with shipments to total 24-25 million units, says paper
    Commercial Times, April 28; Steve Shen, DIGITIMES [Monday 28 April 2008]

Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) has reportedly landed orders for the assembly of second-generation iPhones from Apple supporting 3G, with shipments to begin in June this year, the Chinese-language Commercial Times has quoted sources at foreign institutional investors in Taipei as indicating.

The Commercial Times also cited sources at component suppliers as saying they have been instructed by Apple to begin preparing material supplies by the end of May.

Shipments of the 3G iPhone are expected to top three million units in June with the model likely to ship a total of 24-25 million units throughout its life-cycle, the paper added.

Reports of a 3G version iPhone are all unconfirmed at present, although industry watchers are fairly confident an announcement will be made at or around Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference 2008 (WWDC 2008) in June based on the current high market demand for the device, plus the proposed timing of the announcement, approximately one year after Apple launched the first-generation iPhone, is characteristic for the company.

Foxconn is currently the sole manufacturer of first-generation iPhones."

Digitimes is the nearest source I know...
    No mention of a screen.

16. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

wouldn't happen...thats like steve jobs today holding a random press event and going "we're releasing a new imac today...biggest screen size is 21 inches? apple wouldn't go back down in size from something that is already larger without introducing something in a nano or mini form that can handle the smaller size demographic.

17. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

the only way they can get away with smaller screen is if they are going to force landscape typing...

I hope they dont reduce the size and allow for a landscape typing...

18. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Hope that isnt true, would be a right shame if they made it smaller. At the moment the screen is just the right size. Any bigger and it would be far to large, any smaller and it would be impractical. It is something I can see them doing for some unnerving reason and finding a way around the problems it would introduce but we will just have to wait and see.

It could be an iPhone nano design possibly being introduced that is being confused with what will be a 3.5 inch 3G model. Then again will differing screen resolutions again cause problems. So many questions, so long to wait to find out... grrrrr :p

19. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

...maybe it will be black and white or the greenish black and white ala Palm Pilots...that would be sweeeet. :mad:

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

21. ehaugk macrumors member

Apple is forecasting 10 million units sold for the rest of this year. How can that be possible you ask? TWO versions of new iPhone being released. One with 3.5 screen we all know and love, and a 2.8 nano/flip version. That validates both of these articles and the sales volume predictions.

22. Hockey man macrumors newbie

Hockey man

For all the people saying that it is a fake because it would reduce the keyboard size

...You can't call it a fake. Who knows, maybe apple will release an iPhone nano with a 2.8 in. screen. Instead of making the keyboard smaller, maybe they will design it to have the keyboard work in the horizontal position rather than the vertical position. That style is definitely becoming more popular. Who really knows except for Jobs and the people in Cupertino.:apple:

23. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

You people gotta realize something... it's fake. It has to be.

If they release a smaller screen, then there will be a different firmware for that smaller screen, cause the apps would have to be developed differently to accommodate for the lost space.

24. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Agreed. If they keep the same screen size then Apps for it will work that were programmed for the current phone.

25. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

wont happen. just impossible, nothing short of it.