Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I normally do a clean install when I get an Apple device, but I was wondering if “transfer from existing device” and putting the old phone and new phone by each other would cause any issues?

As far as I know that’s not a backup from a computer or an iCloud backup,but I’m not sure if that’s considered a clean install.

Can anyone give advice on if transferring from old phone to new phone (by putting them side by side) just copies the old iPhone’s settings to the new iPhone? Or if it literally transfers all the old data over like a backup?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I'm not sure I understand your distinction between "copies the old iPhone's settings" and "literally transfers all the old data over like a backup" - those two are equivalents in my mind.

FWIW I have always restored a backup (iTunes originally, then iCloud) until direct-transfer became available then I've done that. From my iPhone 3G all the way through to my current 15 Pro. I see the benefit of the "Clean install" method - gives you a chance to re-think your choices, only install the apps you really need. But the drawbacks (time spent, minimal space savings, having to re-configure everything) to me means that the "Juice isn't worth the squeeze."

Reactions: Ericdjensen

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
I did a device to device transfer. Copies everything. Will also ask you for transferring the watch if you have one. Only needed to re-enter some app passwords when opening first time. Worked flawlessly for me.

Reactions: kitKAC

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I did a device to device transfer. Copies everything. Will also ask you for transferring the watch if you have one. Only needed to re-enter some app passwords when opening first time. Worked flawlessly for me.

This is what I do/did also. Works wonderfully.

tekksan

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
I did the direct transfer from a 12 Pro to a 15 Pro. 175GB of data transferred over WiFi. Worked well.

Canaria

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Netherlands
When I started using my 15 Pro, I did a direct transfer. Was up and running within an hour. The next days I noticed a battery drain on my phone and watch. After a week I did a reset and installed as new. The batteries are much better now.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
I typically upgrade every 2 years. I have always taken the time to do a clean install on the new device, but this year I did a direct transfer from my 13PM to 15PM. It worked perfectly as far as I can tell. No issues whatsoever. Apple seems to have the restore from backup/ transfer from device to device process locked in.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
I normally do a clean install when I get an Apple device, but I was wondering if “transfer from existing device” and putting the old phone and new phone by each other would cause any issues?

As far as I know that’s not a backup from a computer or an iCloud backup,but I’m not sure if that’s considered a clean install.

Can anyone give advice on if transferring from old phone to new phone (by putting them side by side) just copies the old iPhone’s settings to the new iPhone? Or if it literally transfers all the old data over like a backup?
I always use transfer from existing device by putting old and new phone by each other without issues. It is the most convenient way for me without having to memorize apps need to install. I do not have courage to install a new device as a new device. It is too inconvenient. 😊

Salty Pirate

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
kansas city
I did device to device and it worked fairly well.

It is insane the number of accounts and passwords that a user must keep track of.

I feel that the device transfer is the easiest way since many of the credentials are automatically filled in.

Reactions: Patcell and kitKAC

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021

Icloud backup is best in my opinion. Just make sure you have password keychain enabled in icloud. The only downside I have found is you need to log back into your apps but with passwords in the keychain it is not a big deal.

Reactions: Martyimac

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
When I first got my 15 Pro, I did the phone to phone transfer, but had some wonkiness with my Apple Watch (alerts etc.). Tried unpairing the watch and it didnt fix things. So, erased and restored from iCloud backup, but still had issues.

So, I bit the bullet and set up as new and did not restore from backup. Had to re-set everything up, including my watch, but that fixed the issues I was having. All is good now and phone is very stable and runs cool :)

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
When I first got my 15 Pro, I did the phone to phone transfer, but had some wonkiness with my Apple Watch (alerts etc.). Tried unpairing the watch and it didnt fix things. So, erased and restored from iCloud backup, but still had issues.

So, I bit the bullet and set up as new and did not restore from backup. Had to re-set everything up, including my watch, but that fixed the issues I was having. All is good now and phone is very stable and runs cool :)
The watch has always been hit or miss for me. This year was the first year neither I nor my wife had issues with the device to device transfer messing up the watch pairing.

Reactions: VineRider

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I've never done a fresh install. Continuous transfers all the way back from the 3g.

Never had an issue.

Reactions: dotatoc

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011

What sort of issues were you having with your watch? Did Apple Pay stop working?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.