New iPhone Setup Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kool beans, Nov 19, 2012.

1. kool beans macrumors newbie

I just got the iPhone 5 after previously owning the 3GS and went to iTunes to set up my new phone and I clicked on "restore from the backup of the 3GS" which worked and i got all of my old stuff onto my new iPhone 5. However, instead of showing the contents on my new phone when it's clicked on in itunes it is still in the "set up your phone" screen and asking if i want to set up as a new iphone, or restore from the backup of the 3GS. I have done the restore from the backup of my old phone twice already and that screen is still there saying i still have to set up my new phone, which i have obviously already done. I have no idea what the problem is, and i don't really want to set up as a new iPhone and lose all of my contacts and photos. any ideas/suggestions? thanks.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Have you tried re-naming your new phone?

when it appears in Itunes and is connected by cable, right click the device in the left hand pane and choose a name for your new phone. Then perform a new backup. After that the old 3G stuff can be safely removed unless you need it. Double check that all your purchases are present before deleting.

3. kool beans thread starter macrumors newbie

whenever i right click it the only options that come up are "eject" and "restore from backup..." no option to rename it.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's sometimes tricky to get the little box to highlight, try a left click as well...It should be possible to rename the phone from that screen...Persist, it should allow you to gain access to the little box where the phones name is, try not to hit the little eject arrow.

5. kool beans thread starter macrumors newbie

nope, still just those two options. you can change the name on the phone in settings though, should i do it that way and then try what you said?

6. Nam Pla macrumors member

I think what Macman45 meant is to click (once) on the name of your phone in iTunes in the sidebar or wherever it shows. Then click it again (not a double or right click). It will highlight the name in blue and you are then able to change it to whatever you like. Same as you would click twice (not a double-click) on a filename to rename it.

7. kool beans thread starter macrumors newbie

can't do that either. and i know i'm doing it right, because i was able to do it with several playlists doing the same thing, but when i try on my iphone nothing happens.

8. Nam Pla macrumors member

Hmm. that's odd. Maybe there's a way you can change it in the "Settings" on the phone itself? Good luck...

9. kool beans thread starter macrumors newbie

figured it out! i just changed the name of the phone on the settings on the phone and did what macman45 said to do. thank you all so much! i really appreciate it! you guys are the best!!