New iPhone soon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Josephkyles, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Josephkyles macrumors regular

I was thinking about getting an iPhone but I just read in the buyers guide that there would be an update soon. Any idea on how soon the update will come?

2. mets1125 macrumors regular

This has been discussed before. The buyers guide I guess goes with the amount of time from the last update. Remember the last update was when they discontinued the 4GB model. I do not believe there will be an update for at least the next 6 months

3. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

My uneducated guess would be that their won't be a major update until Februaryish for a couple of reasons

1. They don't want to piss off a lot of people who have just received a new iPhone for Christmas. So they won't want to do anything in January...
    2. There are no garuntees that the iPhone will follow the same lifecycle of the iPods and/or any other device. It's a phone so it's a different animal.
    3. The official SDK is supposed to be released in February(as I recall), what better way to capitalize on all the publicity of new apps for the iPhone and Touch than by releasing new hardware to run the programs. :D

4. skeen macrumors 6502

If a new iPhone comes out in 2008, period, I'm gonna be pissed. The thing just came out. It's brand-new. Here's hoping for a 2009 release...

5. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

It just came out for people is the UK and Europe, The US has had it for longer. I think we will get a new iphone when the US contracts start running out :)

6. SRSound macrumors 6502

I agree - One of the key features of the iPhone that people seem to forget is its ability to change the user interface to adapt to any function; so, it's not the hardware that needs updating, just the software.

7. skeen macrumors 6502

8. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

does anyone search anymore? It's a shame that MR upgraded the servers, and yet no one every does a search.

In quick, No

9. chordate68 macrumors regular

chordate68

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nope.

And sure a new one could come out and I figured March 2008, but I think what someone said above was actually better. I'd say around 18 months into the 2 year contract starting from 6/29/07. If you release a new one then basically Apple just bent us all over because as you know the point of signing a 2 year is to get a deep discount on hardware. In the case of the iphone there was no deep discount. Safe answer imho is 12 months, not so safe answer 18 months.

And thank god for forum search!

11. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

How does not having 3G affect the use of the iPhone? I know there is WiFi but how is browsing on a non-3G device? I've been wanting to get one since release but I'm still not convinced that I won't be regretting my purchase. No capability to do MMS is of great deal to me. Then you have to e-mail whatever it is you were going to send in MMS, which is why the non-3G portion looms big.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm only speaking as a new user and MMS wasn't huge to me but it was why I was holding off on the phone. One of a few reasons that is. Now that I have one I have wanted to send 2 photos, ended up sending them to the person's number @ their carrier. I was outdoors in a car not moving and found the e-mail to take just under a minute for one and less than that for the other. I'm going to say that 3G isn't a show stopper and wifi is so much more available these days that between that and edge I'm good. But if you need 3G then you need 3g. I just don't know what the difference is speed wise.

13. iphoneexpert macrumors newbie

info

the only new iphone coming soon will be a 3G one for europe.

14. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

What? The iPhone is shipping in Europe now.. its Edge.... Look for the 3G model at Macword 2009...

15. TXCraig macrumors 6502a

TXCraig

What "Buyers Guide" are you speaking of?

16. bluedevil14 macrumors regular

bluedevil14

There def won't be any updates soon. Apple would have to clear it with the FCC first.

17. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

I think there's a good chance that Apple will announce a 16GB iPhone at MacWorld in January. If I understand correctly, a memory upgrade would not require FCC approval. Steve Jobs will announce the 16GB iPhone when they launch the iPhone SDK, saying that the increased memory will give more room for storing programs along with audio and video.

(Disclaimer: I have no professional connections to Apple Inc. or AT&T. This is simply an educated guess on my part.)

18. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

No doubt the big announcement come January will be the release of the SDK. And I'm sure Apple will announce some new FOR-PURCHASE applications to add to your iPhone. A bump-up in flash capacity is not unlikely.

19. zipper1022 macrumors regular

i dont think apple has any remorse with new items after the Christmas shoping season, i remember them releasing a new ipod in january one year making everyone upset, but they get other it.

even if apple doesnt update the iphone in january, which i think it will, im still waiting because if i buy one now and they DO update it, i ill be really pissed.

20. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I am guessing that Apple will handle the iPhone the same way that they handle the iPod. Most likely there will be updates every 12-18 months. By update I am talking either new look or many new features. That said, iPhone is going to be a big seller this holiday season and Apple is not a dumb company. Apple has just launched iPhone in new countries. Combine those customers with the current ones and the new customers that will come in December and it makes no sense for Apple to release an updated phone for at least another 6-12 months. They would not only lose customers because so many would have just purchased or received phones, but they would have an angry mob on their hands for releasing a new phone within a year of the original release. Basically, a new iPhone is coming but it will not be released before AT LEAST June. If you are concerned about storage then I would wait til January because MacWorld is when a 16GB version of the current iPhone will probably be announced.

21. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Really? I wonder why on earth they'd do that. By no definition of the word does discontinuing 1 model of a product line constitute a change to the "last released" product that the buyer's guide says it bases it's guidelines on. Even in the context of a buyer's guide it makes no sense because the date they discontinued a model in an existing product line says nothing about the frequency which which new products in that line will be released. In fact, if anything is implied by such a move it's that Apple is satisfied with the revised lineup and will continue it as it is for the foreseeable future.

22. SRSound macrumors 6502

I think the buyers guide is an automated tool that simply tracks overall product changes and isnt yet set up to handle multiple categories. I'll bet you could contact the mods about setting up a more advanced version to improve its usability so we could all benefit from a more reliable guide.

Personally, I am planning on buying an iPhone this week and hope that we see much more in the way of software updates than hardware updates! Again, the beauty of the device is its ability to elegantly handle adaptable user interfaces - the hardware is fine - now make the software everything it should be...

23. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I doubt it's automated. The listings of stories related to each product in each category is probably automated, but the control for what it considers a new release to start the new countdown clock from would have to be handled by a human being. Computers are smart, but they're not yet that smart that they can discern things like that yet.