New iPhone user: 7+ battery draining really quickly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iloveyiyi, Sep 21, 2016.

1. iloveyiyi macrumors newbie

Hello folks! Happy to be a part of this community. I have been a long time user of the Samsung Galaxy Note series. Due to the recent explosion incident, I decided to make the switch to an iPhone 7 Plus.

I just received and set up my iPhone 7 Plus yesterday but noticed that it has significant performance lag and battery drain issues. I did some research and learned that this might be normal behaviour because of things setting up in the background. My battery went from 61% to 20% overnight. I also noticed that the Setup process running in the background has taken away 33% of the battery during this time.

Is this a normal behaviour for a new iPhone? Thanks all!

2. malevolant macrumors 6502

The phone can get pretty warm and eat battery during a recovery process, but for phone being setup as new, you shouldn't have to deal with that unless you were installing a ton of stuff.

3. iloveyiyi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Malevolant! I did use the Move to iOS app to move my Android photos, contacts, messages, gmail accounts and apps to my new iPhone. That might have been the cause.

4. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

Nothing to worry about. Setup process is one of the most intensive things you can do on your iPhone. On a normal night you should lose up to 5%. Anything over that is high.

Also, are you calibrating the battery? Why not charge overnight?

5. malevolant macrumors 6502

I'm not sure how that works, but I would assume its pretty similar to restoring from a backup. You should be fine. Once its done you should see a marked improvement

6. msavic macrumors 6502

I'm also losing 8-10% battery overnight while in Airplane mode with WiFi enabled.

I'm switching from an S7E so I am doing a full comparison between the two devices but so far it seems like the the S7E actually drained less battery in standby than the iPhone as surprising as that it is.

I'm debating taking my phone in to Apple and getting it exchanged just in case it might be something with my device.

7. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

Last night I went to sleep with 83%, woke up with 60%. I closed all my apps before I went to bed. Something isn't right. I had this issue before when I had my 6 Plus. What was happening was my phone was switching between LTE and 4g constantly, after a while the carrier fixed the towers near me and the problem went away.

8. kargurin macrumors 6502

kargurin

I switched from a Note 5 to the Plus. Battery life has been incredible. I'm getting four or five hours usage, 14 hours off charger and I'm still over 50%. Something like that would have killed my Sammy. It's the reason I made the change and I'm glad I haven't been disappointed. I have tried to pay attention to all these apps wanting to know your location, work in the background and have turned it all off unless there is a good reason to keep it on.

9. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I set up a 7Plus as new last week.

I've also turned off cellular usage for apps like music and other non essentials. Also turned off some location services battery killers and ALL background app refreshes.

The phone took about 2 or 3 days to complete 'background activity' with photos' sync to iCloud(about 7,000 pics stored on phone). During that time the battery was draining faster than it is now.

My last stats were 4:45hrs usage, 15:41standby with 54% reserves.