New iphone user - Battery question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hugoleveille, Nov 9, 2009.

1. hugoleveille macrumors member

I just moved from an iPod touch 2G to an iPhone 3Gs. As far as I like my phone, I have a little concern with the battery.

So far I have charged the phone 2-3 times and everytime, I get the same result and Id like to know if its normal.

1) The phone will almost go from 100% to 85% charged in a matter of minutes. Than after, it will go down from 85% much slower.

2) Compared to my Ipod touch witch lasted 3-4 days (emails, and about 1/2 browsing), the iPhone will last about 36 hours (id say 2 1/2 hours of use, the rest standby. I find it a bit short since at that rate it need to be almost charged everyday...

3) The first day I got it, I played with it abit and when I put it in the table before watching a movie, it was at 70%. Then, a hours and half later....9% !! It did not re-happened yet but what could have caused such a drain ??

4) What would you recommend. To only charge it when its dying or to leave it plugged in all day when im at work ? Will letting an iPhone plugged all day improve the battery life of decrease it?

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Run your battery all the way to shut off. Plug it in, charge overnight (or to 100% + 2 hours). This will calibrate your battery meter. Do this a couple of times a year, or any time your battery meter seems inaccurate.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

1) This is normal.

2) This is excellent life. Better than many people get.

3) If something only happens once, don't worry about it. If things keep happening, come back and make a new thread. Sometimes odd things happen once and no one can figure out why.

4) Leave it plugged in. Once it reaches 100% charge the phone simply leaves the battery alone and runs off the charger cord. At that point the batter doesn't even know the phone is on at all. Less battery use will lead to longer battery life.

That said, you should let your phone run almost completely dead followed by a full charge 2-3 times a week. The battery does need it's 'exercise' to stay healthy. But leaving it plugged in on most days is good thing.

4. hugoleveille thread starter macrumors member

Hey thanks alot! That really helped !

5. dread macrumors 6502a

2.5 hours of use is not normal. I agree you should calibrate the battery, but it is possible your phone is defective. I can watch an entire movie and only burn 15% of my battery.