New iPhone user..Couple questions

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Matt-Man-Plus, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

First off i've had an iPod touch for 4 years, waiting for the day that Verizon would carry the iPhone..I finally have it and it's great. However, I guess i got a little bit used to some of the features on the Droid 2 that I was using prior to the iPhone. Why is it that you can't just assign any of your songs as a ringtone?? I think I know the answer and it's money. My guess is Apple wants you to buy ringtones. OK, I get that but is there no way to do this without buying them?

The other thing is on the Droid you can link contacts with Facebook ect. When one of your contacts calls you, their current FB pic shows up with their FB status as the phone is ringing..This is by no means a deal breaker but I though it was kind of cool. Is there a way to do this on the iPhone?

Thanks for any input.

2. aaps59 macrumors regular

aaps59

Cant really help you with the ringtone thing. But for the facebook contacts, if you download the facebook app, go to friends, you can sync your facebook contacts with your phone.

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You can make your own ringtones, place them in iTunes, and sync them to tour phone. There are apps available for you to make them on your phone as well as applications for the computer. I like to make them on the computer and sync them back to the phone.

4. TaterToT macrumors 6502

To create your own ringtones I recommend downloading Ringtone Designer Pro from the App Store, it's super easy to make ringtones with it from your music on your phone and easy to get them on your computer. For Facebook syncing I recommend downloading SmartSync from the App Store, it does a much better job at syncing them than the Facebook app does... Enjoy your iPhone!

5. nitsuj1098 macrumors newbie

What if you want ringtones that aren't song from your music library? Like sound effects and things of that nature?

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If you can record it, you should be able to make a rtone out of it.

7. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Is there a way to keep the photos synced? On my Android, I always noticed that my contacts pictures would stay updated. Like I would click on someone to call them or send a text message, and be surprised that their picture was updated to their newest Facebook profile pic. So far I've noticed that my iPhone has not updated when they change their pictures. Do I just have to do it manually or something? Or is there any way to automate it?

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

AFAIK, you do it manually. As far as automating it goes, there might be a jb app for that-- to borrow a phrase from apple.
    The update of pics seems a little gimmicky, but that's mnsho.

9. BrianBaughn, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011

BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Ringtones are just .m4a sound files changed to .m4r so you can make them yourself.

The free app Audacity can create .m4a files. Open your song or other sound file with Audacity, edit it (the shorter the better...for space), export or save as ".m4a", then change the extension to ".m4r".

Drop the file into your user>Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Ringtones folder. You may have to play the file once with iTunes to finalize the process.

10. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

I've had good luck finding .wav files on the internet doing a Google search, saving the file, and converting it to a .m4r file to put on my iPhone. Works rather well if you don't want a music (song) tone.