new iphone user needing to switch back

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 2056, Dec 4, 2008.

1. 2056 macrumors 6502

it's been about a day and a half since i've made the switch from verizon to at&t. i was afraid to do this since everyone mostly has verizon where i live. the signal at home is at the very least 2 bars and at the very best 4 bars. not bad.

i updated to the firmware 2.2 on the iphone. i noticed i was not able to receive SMS from any other carriers except at&t after this update. i'm not sure whether it could have been the cause..or i'm just a new customer. hmm.

i was on the phone with technical support for a little over an hour trying to figure out the issue and eventually it was resolved.

i started receiving phone calls and text messages "why aren't you answering my calls?!" and "it's about time you pick up!"

so, it seems i'm only getting 80% of the calls, which to me is not acceptable. voicemail also seems to be delayed.

i really LOVE the phone and all of the awesome features. i hate to get rid of it, but it looks as though this may be the end result.

i'm not really asking for advice, i guess i just wanted to put that out there.

a phone really is only as good as the network it's on.. :(

2. davidlw macrumors 6502a

I feel your pain as I have gone thru this myself. I think the it is a combination of issues with the iPhone and AT&T. I hate to see you go thru this. Since AT&T and Apple have both upgraded in my area, the iPhone is now much better.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Is this using 3G?

When I'm at work I need to manually turn it off and stay on EDGE.

Everywhere else is fine, but there's something about that one spot. You should experiment for a day or two to see if you're in a similar situation.

4. 2056 thread starter macrumors 6502

unfortunately, we do not have 3g in my area. only edge.
    i asked the rep at the store how the service was and she said it was exceptional. of course she could have just been saying that to get me to sign on..

i guess it'd be best to try again when we have 3g here.

i hope that time is sooner rather than later so i don't have to sign another contract with verizon.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, the last thing I'd try is to restore the phone and wait 2 or 3 days.

I've often had trouble with cell phones when I switch my number from one cell network to another. Even though they say it takes 1-2 days I usually have strange problems the first week or so. See if it settles down by this weekend.

But if it doesn't, yeah, you need to go with a network that actually works, even if they don't have the phone you want.