new iphone user q's for: Mac and PC owner, please help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bob2131, Dec 2, 2009.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

Hi,
    im Buying an iphone (UK)

1) if I activate phone on pc itunes, I cant use mac itunes at all with iphone?
    2) cant use both itunes on both pc and mac for general use?
    3) I usually download apps on pc....but would day to day like to connect to mac for conveniance, is this ok?
    4) what if i activate on mac itunes, but download apps on pc itunes?
    5) does new itunes need latest leopard? can i use my itunes 8 running leopard 10.5.4?
    6) im thinking of making a sandbox clone of my mac drive, just for updating itunes and leopard to test if things work ok.
    7) ive only purchased from itunes from pc itunes, never on mac, does this mean i cant buy stuff from itunes with same pc account on mac?

Thanks for any help.

2. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can activate your iphone on any computer and use it with any computer, pc or mac (otherwise in-store activations wouldn't work). However, an iPhone can sync with only one computer at a time. So even if you had 2 pcs or 2 macs, you would be able to sync it with only one of them. You can buy apps on multiple computers as long as you sign in to your itunes account, but like I said, you can't sync your iphone to multiple computers, so the usefulness of this is limited. There are complicated workarounds to get your iPhone to sync with multiple computers, but it requires editing a binary file, so if you are asking "what's a binary file?" I wouldn't recommend it. I don't know about Mac OS, so can't answer the Mac specific questions, sorry.

4. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thankyou

sync means a full sync im guessing.
    what about putting a song on manually. is that still a sync?

whats a binary file? lol
    only joking. i might have to explore these hacks later on.

5. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

updated to latest itunes.
    and now i cant even browse the itunes store.
    its asking to update safari too.
    but i cant update safari unless i update leopard.

I DO NOT WANT TO UPDATE LEOPARD.

just for an iphone, i hate all this.

can i restore my old itunes 8???

i want to super duper a clone and use that to update everything for iphone.

6. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hi again

how can i transfer numbers from my nokia 3 phone over to iphone?
    ive never used contacts on OSX or address book or whatever.

can someone recommend a good way to get going properly?

ive only phone numbers stored in my nokia phone.
    and only got email addresses stored in my email accounts.
    i have backed up my nokia on my pc using nokia pc suite/ovi suite and microsoft Outlook.

address book on OSX im guessing allows putting all contact details for one person, eg phone number/email address/postal address.
    is this the best way to use iphone and mac? get a properly set up address book on computer and then sync to iphone? or do i need to do the editing in itunes? or shall i just manually re-type things in my iphone...?

thanks

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You can either put the sim from your Nokia in your phone and then go to settings>mail, contacts, calendars>import sim contacts or you can sync with Outlook.

8. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks.

so i can put my non 02 sim in my 02 iphone? is this all ok?

will i lose any info or data on my current 02 pay go? eg text messages, photos, recordings, settings......?