New iPhone user - Some questions.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Caris, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Hey everyone, just got my iPhone activated yesterday and i have a few questions. So i'll just get to it!

1: Is the internet free? Also if it is do i have a limit and if so how do i check how much i have left? Then also if i go over how much is it? (UK)

2: Voicemail, free yeah?

3: How do i check how many minutes, texts i have left?

4: Is there a guide on how to use google mas anywhere?

5: Has anyone encountered dust behind the screen / is it a bad problem. I just get the feeling it will be.

I'll add some more if i think of them. Thanks everyone.

2. memesmith macrumors regular

Assuming you are on an official O2 contract, free and unlimited. (There is a fair use policy, but it won't trouble your iPhone surfing needs)

Voicemail is free too.

You can check how many minutes you've used on the O2 website, under my account, but it takes some clicking and is not right up to date. It takes a couple of days for usage to register on the website.

Googlemaps is pretty self explanitory, but there's a video on You tube that explains how the locate me function works

Dust BEHIND the screen? No

3. Caris thread starter macrumors 6502a

Caris

Cool, i heard someone saying before 80MB limit or is that for the US with AT&T? Also what exactly is the fair use policy. I presume the E in the top corner is for EDGE yeah no way or turning it off?

4. ducks15 macrumors newbie

I am unaware of an 80MB limit for O2 contracts. The "fair use" amount might be in the terms and conditions somewhere but as memesmith said unless you are on websites with lots of contents 24/7 you are unlikely ever to encounter a limit.

The "E" in the top corner does indeed mean Edge is active. If there is just a blue box it means you are just on O2's normal WAP (i.e. there is no Edge coverage where you are) and the WiFi symbol is self-explanatory.

As for turning Edge off, there is no way to do that unless you put the iPhone in aeroplane mode which stops you making and receiving calls. I don't see a reason for needing to turn Edge off anyway, since it provides your Visual Voicemail and Internet when you are away from WiFi....

5. Caris thread starter macrumors 6502a

Caris

Cool, thanks for the help guys. I do have one more question, how do i make a song i have in my iTunes a ringtone?

6. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

Either use garageband, or trim an mp3 to 30 seconds, import it iTunes convert to AAC, rename the file .m4r and reimport again (remember to delete the originals)

7. Caris thread starter macrumors 6502a

Caris

Awesome thanks, i have one very last thing to ask. It has said a few times today that i don't have a sim card inserted when i do. Is this normal, shall i take the sim out and put it back in? If the answer is yes, how do i do it.

8. moel macrumors 6502

Keep an eye on it, it shouldn't do that..especially not if it's brand new..but basically the sim card tray is that thin oval slot on the top of the phone use a paperclip or drawing pin to push the button (the small . next to the headphone socket on the sim tray) hopefully that makes sense...if it does it anymore though take it back to o2 and get them to give you another one.

9. joefinan macrumors 6502a

Would someone mind explaining this more fully? I can't get it to work (for example, how to I actually then set the song as a ringtone?)

Thanks