New Iphone user, what TIME will IOS6 be available?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by luv2shop85, Sep 16, 2012.

1. luv2shop85 macrumors newbie

I'm a new Iphone user, only had it for a few months. How does this new IOS6 download work? Will I be able to download it at midnight on Sept 19? Or does it come as a certain time? Do I have to wait until the update is pushed to my device or can I use Itunes?

My phone is jailbroken right now, Should I remove the jailbreak and restore to default before downloading the update? I'm pretty sure I should, but just wanted to double check...

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

This might help
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1443007

Usually it is released at 10am PST, and will be an OTA update.
    I am not sure about the jailbreaking since mine are not, so I can't advise.

3. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

are you a iphone 3GS owner a iphone 4 owner or a iphone 4S owner? all

ios 6 will be out on SEP 19th likey at 12am or later if you have at lest ios 5.1.1 installed then it will be overe the air update no need for I tunes

but if you dont have ios 5.1.1 then you need too connet with I tunes and upgrade too at lest ios 5.1.1 all so i would all so re move the jail break

4. luv2shop85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast response everyone.

I have an Iphone 4s. Does the update take a long time?

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

This one will probably take a little longer since its not an incremental update. But if you have a good wi-fi connection where you are it shouldnt be too bad.

6. luv2shop85 thread starter macrumors newbie

With Android updates they would come sporatically throughout the day and there was no set time this could come. So with Apple this is different? I live on the east coast so I am assuming the download will be available around 1pm if it is 10m PST.

I think I read somewhere if you connected your phone to itunes you could get the update right away. Is this true?

And does it have to be on wifi to update?

And is the phone unavailable during the update process? So if it takes 2-3 hours, I will not be able to use my phone during this time?

Sorry for all of the questions.

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

With Android updates they would come sporatically throughout the day and there was no set time this could come. So with Apple this is different? I live on the east coast so I am assuming the download will be available around 1pm if it is 10m PST.

It will be available by the time you go to sleep. Put it on then and sleep. When you wake up it will be done.

I think I read somewhere if you connected your phone to itunes you could get the update right away. Is this true?

No.
    And does it have to be on wifi to update?

The update is going to be some MB’s (I assume 928 as for the GM). I see why you wouldn’t want to use wifi.

And is the phone unavailable during the update process? So if it takes 2-3 hours, I will not be able to use my phone during this time?

Like I said, do it while sleeping. If you use your phone while you sleep, then I don’t know what to say.

Sorry for all of the questions.

This is the place to ask questions. No need to be sorry.

8. DarthBradicus macrumors member

The past few years, it was released around 10 a.m. Eastern Time.

Updates to iOS 5 so far seemed to have been available slightly sooner in iTunes as opposed to OTA updates.

As for the size, I haven't used the betas, so I don't know what the size is, but the size mentioned above sounds like the full size, if downloaded from iTunes. The OTA may be smaller, since it uses delta updates (only downloads what has changed), but as we haven't had a major iOS update yet, I have no way of being sure.

Wi-Fi speed generally hasn't helped in the past. On the launch day of major iOS updates in the past, the servers are hit so hard that download times usually slow considerably shortly after it's released.

You will be able to use your phone while it's downloading, but it will be unavailable while it's actually installing. For the update to iOS 5, which had to be through iTunes as OTA was added with iOS 5, I remember the update process took longer than it had in the past because it backed up then fully restored the phone from that backup. (No data will be lost.) The phone (and iTunes) was unavailable during this time, but was available during the sync that followed.

Also, if the severs are extremely overloaded, activation after it's installed may take longer than normal.

9. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Do we know for sure that iOS 6 will be available OTA?

I thought whole new versions (i.e 5->6) would require iTunes for a full flash and then point updates (6.1, 6.2...) would be OTA.

10. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

You have to ask? :rolleyes:
    This is Apple, no one knows for sure :)