New iPhone User with a Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by slideordie85, Feb 13, 2009.

1. slideordie85 macrumors newbie

I just picked a 3g up a few days ago and now its asking me for a passcode? I bought it off ebay as a used one and just got it in the mail and tried to hook it up with iTunes and it says it wont allow me too. It says enter a passcode.

I tried messaging the seller but he is from maylasia and he is not responding?

I tried to set it in restore mode by holding the power/home then releasing the power when the logo came up but it just starts up normal and asks me for the code?

Also tried the emergency dbl tap and no luck with that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm just going to say that it was stolen and he sold it to make a few.

Dollars. Malaysian dollars. Or whatever.

Either that or you stole it (sorry, we can't really know for sure) and are trying to circumvent the password instated by the previous owner.

Either way, sorry about your purchase/obtainment.

3. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Doesn't the passcode screen erase (if set) it after ten tries?

4. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

One Way To Fix

Ok so one way to fix is to do a restore it
    Connect it to iTunes and when it shows up click restore
    If you can't do that
    then do a hard reset
    press the home button and power button simultaneously until it turns off and turns back on
    then you should see a connect to iTunes thing like the iTunes sign with a USB cable pointing to it or something
    NOTE: YOU MAY HAVE TO DO THAT MULTIPLE TIMES TO GET IT THE ITUNES SIGN AND STUFF
    and once it says that sign connect it to iTunes and restore it as a new iPhone
    idk what will happen to the SIM Card but you can at least try
    Hope that works~~

5. Resist macrumors 68030

That won't fix it. If it were that easy then the passcode would be useless as security.

6. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Hope you used pay-pal on ebay, so you can return the iPhone to the seller & get your money back.

7. KingHuds macrumors 6502

DFU restore on a phone doesn't remove passcode? I got locked out of my phone by some ******* friends and got to the point where it stopped accepting passwords, but fixed it with a restore.

8. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Actually it will, it was a security feature built in by Apple, purposely, so that if someone forgot the passcode, they could use their iPhone again. When you restore, you can't go from a backup though, I think.

David

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Wrong. The only way you can bypass the code with a restore is if it's your computer the phone is synced with.

In other words, this guy got jipped.

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Like an above poster stated, can't he force the phone into DFU mode and perform a restore? That should fix his problem.

11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

As was also mentioned before, this would render the passcode security system completely useless. Anybody who knows how to use Google would be able to use stolen iPhones.

12. slideordie85 thread starter macrumors newbie

well this is great. i did use paypal as well. but i have had problems in the past when i recieve items broken or damaged, they dont guarentee them. they just guarentee them for arrival.

i cant call apple or att and see what they can do? or is there anything they can do?

lastly, if i pay to have it jail broken will that remove the password?

just trying to avoid sending it back, waiting 30 days for my money back and then reordering another.

i really appreciate all the help. thanks.

13. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    AT&T can't do anything about it.

You don't need to pay someone to jailbreak it. It is really super easy. It is almost fool proof. Put the phone into DFU mode and do a restore, your problem will be solved, and the password will be gone.

14. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I assumed the passcode feature was to protect the data , not the physical phone.

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I can neither confirm nor deny this, as I've never dealt with a stolen/found iPhone.

However, from what I've learned by reading on this forum my educated input is that you cannot access a password protected device without first connecting it to the computer it was originally synced to.