New iPhone user

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by albojeff, Mar 17, 2011.

1. albojeff macrumors newbie

albojeff

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the iPhone thing, in fact, I getting ready to get my first one from Verizon. My wife got one when it was offered to current VZ customers and I've been playing with it ever since. Really puts my Win Mobile phone to shame. I do have one very big issue that is stopping me from getting one. The inability to customize alerts, particularly appointments, is a really big minus. That seems like such a simple thing to make available. The lock on all the other ringtones and alerts is pretty irritating as well. My question is will jailbreaking the phone enable me to modify the alerts tones? Thanks for any and all help.

2. QuarterSwede, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You can but it's a pain and you only have so many to choose from to replace. It's not like with ringtones where you can throw as many in there as your iDevice will hold. Ringtones are just m4a files (AAC) with a m4r extension and can be added to iTunes as such. Alert tones can't be easily added for some ridiculous reason (my guess is licensing/permission issues with the idiot labels).

3. albojeff thread starter macrumors newbie

albojeff

So, changing the other alert tones that only have the ON/OFF option is not possible? I really don't care to have a lot of options for those alerts, I just want something a little more noticeable. On my current phone, I have the UGA Fight Song for appointments and I can hear it on the other end of my house. The current iPhone alert I would be lucky to hear across the room. It sounds like I don't have much choice, though. I really think it's a ridiculous decision on Apple's part.