New iPhone user

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JBP27, Mar 19, 2011.

1. JBP27 macrumors newbie

Howdy Veterans!!

After YEARS of waiting, I FINALLY have my iPhone!! However, I'm having a problem and I'm unable to figure it out.

When I got our iPhones I was living with my sister, because my husband was in the hospital in a different city. I initially registered our iPhones on her iTunes, but I logged out of her account and logged into my iTunes account (I have an account for our iPads). I was able to activiate and register our phones through her computer, and for the time, sync all her music and info to my phone.

Now we are home and I am unable to transfer any of my music from my iTunes here, onto my iPhone. I can transfer all of my purchased music from my iPhone to my iTunes, but not the other way around.

I did connect my iPad to see if it was a problem I was having over all devices, but it seems to me that the problem is that I activated my iPhone under her iTunes (even though I was logged into my Apple account on her iTunes).

Does anyone know how I can fix this? I know that I have authorized this computer as one of my 5 computers, but it still will not transfer the music to my phone.

Thank you for your help and hopefully that isn't all too confusing. I'm an extreme novice!!! :eek:

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Are you having problems syncing anything except the music?

Since there are several ways of syncing music to the iDevices, could you post a couple of screenshots of your settings? Specifically the options settings under the Summary tab, and the settings under the music tab. Before you post back, you might unauthorize your computer and then reauthorize it.

It doesn't make any difference which computer, that you activated your phone on, BTW.

3. wnaylor macrumors newbie

Syncing from your computer

While you were able to activate your account by using your iTunes account on your sister's computer, you also synced 'her' music to your iPhone (Your iPhone is synced with your sister's iTunes music collection). Once you synced someone else music to your iPhone you can no longer sync from your iTunes on your computer (you cannot sync music from 2 different computers). This is so that you can't give someone else your music or get music from someone else through iTunes.

Your iPhone will only accept music from your sister's computer (because it's now tied to her iTunes library). You can't sync music or anything thing else from 2 different iTunes library). If you want to sync from your computer you must first get rid of your sister's music. The best way for you to do this is to restore your iPhone back to the original state then sync it with your iTunes music, video, books, etc.

Whenever you buy music on an IOS device you can always transfer to you iTunes account.

4. jdaniel macrumors 65816

there are jailbreak programs out there that would allow you to browse the music and transfer them to your computer then add them to your library... just google