new iphone user

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by yanagirl, Feb 11, 2010.

1. yanagirl macrumors newbie

I have had my phone for 5 days. I am getting the hang of some stuff, but other stuff that should be so imple is perplexing and maddening.:mad:

First issue:

I want to load some of my cherished pictures FROM my PC (Win7) to my new phone. Believe me when I say, there is NOTHING about how to do this in any of the iphone tutorials or anywhere else. I found lots of info on transferring photos FROM iphone to PC, but not "TO" the phone.

Is there an app that I have to have? I tried the dragging and dropping from a folder in ""pictures" to the iphone icon and that doesn't work. I get a red circle w/slash thru it showing? Can anyone assist me with this - what has to be simple-task? What am I missing? Thanks.:confused:

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You use iTunes to sync from your PC to your iPhone.

3. yanagirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I know it goes thru that. Sorry I should have said that. But how on itunes? When my itunes page displays on my PC screen - there is no title for pictures or photos. they have movies, videos, etc. I don't see where I go or how I do it.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Because pics are under the iPhone. I'll explain. iTunes left pane doesn't have pics, since iTunes doesn't manage pics on YOUR computer. However, when you plug in your iPhone, an iPhone icon appears in the left pane. Click on the iPhone icon (or menu or whatever you want to call it), and a summary tab will appear in the middle pane. There are tabs for Info, Music, Ringtones, Movies, etc.

You might want to read thru the Guides on using iTunes and read about syncing on numerous posts on MR.

5. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

In a nutshell, on the Photos tab, you check the box saying Sync Photos From, then you choose the folders that you have the photos you want. If you only want a subset of the photos, make a new folder, copy in the photos you want, and select that folder. Then press Sync.

6. yankintx macrumors 6502

Did you get it figured out? I loaded 8000 pics into my iphone yesterday for the first time and really had to search to find how to do it. After you hook up iphone to Itunes, you will see your iphone listed on the left hand side of the Itunes window. Click on your iphone and then in the middle of the itunes screen you'll see the info on your iphone. Across top you will see tabs pertaining to apps, songs, photos etc. Click on the photos tab and you can pick how to sync pictures from various folders.
    If you still have questions you can email me at johnmadden2011@gmail.com and i'll help you out.

7. yanagirl thread starter macrumors newbie

O-Kaaaay. Thank you, thank you! I'm getting close. Yes I see the phone and clicked on it and then saw the tabs across the top. Who woul have known how to get there? They don't tell you this stuff!! At least it's not readily available to the average idiot.

Now here's the next obstacle: you get a choice of syncing from:
    -all folders
    -selected floders
    -include videos

Here's the thing - on mine, it's already clicked for "all folders". I don't want all folders I want "selected folders". But it's not clickable, i.e., it won't respond when I click on it. What's up with that?

8. yanagirl thread starter macrumors newbie

new iphone user

never mind - I think I figured it out - it's syncing what I want. I can't thank you guys enough!

Now I have another question - can anyone or is anyone willing to help me with an iphone email issue?

9. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

Ask away!

10. yanagirl thread starter macrumors newbie

iphone email question

I'll try to explain this. I set up my iphone email account and on the phone-it's the same as on my home PC. Meanwhile, my PC at home is running Windows 7, which has this crazy "windows live" deal going on, where you have to run your email through that. This means another login name and password to deal with. But anyway, here goes the new iphone email account, fetching my email from my PC I guess, or from somewhere (the verizon server?? I don't know where it goes to get it!! (The answer to THIS question would be enlightening, as well).). But it's starting to load on my email, and I notice some of it is old stuff - like 2-3 wks ago - stuff I've deleted from my inbox on my PC. So - now - I'm deleting these, and it just keeps going and getting more and more email and loading it on!!!:( Somewhere along the line in all this I saw a notice that says it has 900+ more emails still to load. WTH?? There seems to be NO WAY to set any parameters like "only load today's mail" or something like that. Now picture this: each email has to be deleted by hand with a click or 2. I don't want to do this 1800+ times!!! I see no way to "Delete all" with one click. I'm of a mind to quit the whole thing and just use it as a phone and to get internet. It's so frustrating. Oh - I thought at one point it would help to totally empty my "sent meassages" folder on the PC. But that didn't help. This is ridiculous. I really just want to get any mail coming in on each day that day, because I can see the older stuff on the PC, either inbox or sent items or in folders, when I get home you know? Have I totally muddled this question? Thanks.:confused:

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Who's your email account with on the iPhone? Hotmail? Yahoo?

12. yanagirl thread starter macrumors newbie

When it asks that question@ set-up, I clicked "other", then entered verizon.

13. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Well, one thing to help you out with your email, based on your question. You don't actually have to sign in to Windows Live to use Windows Live Mail. That might save you some grief. If you don't sign in it's just like having Outlook Express or Windows Mail. But note that you don't HAVE to use it - you can get a third party mail program - have a look here: http://email.about.com/od/windowsemailclients/tp/free_email_prog.htm

The iPhone is downloading all the emails that are sitting on the Verizon server. In general, (and especially once you receive the same emails in two locations) it's best to delete or move the emails you've finshed with. In most email programs you can set them to delete messages from the server automatically once it's downloaded them to your PC. The iPhone's account settings allow this too.