new iPhone users get rebate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacDaddy08, Jun 12, 2008.

1. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

I just bought 2 iPhones less than 2 months ago for $400 each from Apple. I signed up for the 2-year agreement. I knew the 3G ones were coming out soon but I wasn't sure when and i got tired of waiting so I bought them anyway knowing that I could just sell mine and by the 3G ones when they come out.

Now the 3G ones are coming out and they are offering them for $199 with 2-year agreement. So my question is: Is Apple going to rebate customers that just bought the older, outdated iPhones for $400 a pop?

I called Apple about this and the person told me they didn't know yet, Apple hasn't released that info to their employees. They said to call back in a few days. They also said they would hope Apple would issue rebates for cases like mine since they decided to rebate tons of customers when the iPhones first came out.

What is every elses take on this?
    Sorry if this has already been posted, I didn't see it anywhere.

2. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Doubtfull, since it was over a month for the new iphone when Steve annouced it. Maybe that is another reason for the delay ?:eek:

3. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

nope. Apple's return policy is a strict 14 days and they are even making exceptions for those who purchased 30 days ago, however 2 months is just asking way too much. I dont know ANY company that has a two month return/price match policy on electronics.

I did the same thing, i purchased my iphone may 11th and it arrive may 13th - i had a FEELING there was going to be a new iphone, but nothing was definite. I waited out the MARCH 2008 keynote and there was nothing, so i waited a little longer after that, when nothing happened, i decided what was there to loose.. i was NOT all that interested in the new iphone features anyways.

So i guess thats a round about way of saying you are SOL on getting any kind of money back.. the people who got that money back when the first phone came out should have considered themselves lucky.. apple did NOT have to do that.. everyone knows that the value of anything electronic automatically drops in price when you take it out of the box, and just keeps going down..

4. MacDaddy08 thread starter macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

I know they didn't have to but they decided to after all the complaints. I am hoping this will be the same type of thing. They charged $400 for an iPhone and they released a better, faster iPhone for $200 less. I know they are getting a flood of calls from people just like me wanting money back. I know I can unlock mine and sell it for $400+ on eBay but its just the principal of the matter.

Hopefully, they will issue something:)

5. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

dont hold your breath.. that is why the stopped selling iphones a month before the new one is released..

Also, i think it's debateable that the new iphone is "better" and its not really cheaper if you figure that the new iphone 3G requires a more expensive data package, and existing iphone users are locked into the cheaper data plan. Look up the htreads on here, there REALLY isnt that much of a price break.. actually i think it worked out to be MORE expensive.

They are not going to give you ANY money back in my opinion..

6. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Just to be clear, I thought Apple was still charging $399 overall. $199 to buy phone and $200 from AT&T that they pay to Apple when the phone is activated.

Could be wrong, but I thought that is how subsidies work. If that is the case, then AT&T should be the one providing any kind of rebate.

I really have no idea, but this would make sense.

7. thaprofessor33 macrumors member

You should have waited two months just to see what they would do.

8. touchyphone macrumors regular

Dont beg, its tacky....

Cowboy up, you purchased, you like it, deal with it.....

9. MacDaddy08 thread starter macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

?????

10. MacDaddy08 thread starter macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

Seems like you may be correct. I know Apple is charging $399 still and then you are rebated $200 for signing the agreement so maybe my argument is with AT&T and not Apple.

You're right, I like it and I will deal with it no matter the outcome. However, it's just the principal of the matter. Hearing that the phones I paid $800 for are now obsolete and the newer, faster ones are half the price is hard to swallow. Who is begging anyway? If I have a chance of getting $400 back on the phones I just bought then you better believe I am going to take it. If they don't issue a rebate to me, whatever. I am going to get the 3G ones when they come out anyway and just sell mine on ebay. :)

11. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Your iPhones are not obsolete. They still do the things you need them to, right? (i.e. make phone calls) There were rumors circulating about iPhone updates during WWDC for far longer than 2 months, so if you took the plunge that's not really Apple's fault. Apple was even kind enough :rolleyes: to stop selling phones in May, probably so people wouldn't come to them and complain about how they just bought a phone and now it's "obsolete".

Technology and prices change all the time.

12. MacDaddy08 thread starter macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

Completely agree.

Thats why I am fine no matter the outcome. By obsolete, I mean not produced anymore. They still do everything I enjoy just not as fast as the newer ones.

I don't know about Apple being "kind enough" to stop selling in May. They were just covering their own a$$ because they knew people were going to try and return their phones if they were purchased in the last 14 days.

13. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

I really doubt that Apple will now offer anything et al. They stopped selling iPhones 2 months before the launch of new version. So I dont think anyone would be getting anything for buying the old iPhone at a higher cost.

Also I completely disagree with the fact that apple decided to give 100$ rebate after the price drop caused unrest among early adapters. Apple choses its moves very carefully. They knew there will be some outrage when they suddenly announce the iPhone will now be cheaper by 200$ just after 2 months of launch. It was more or less pre-decided that such a rebate will be offered. But by not announcing this rebate during the price drop announcement and then giving this rebate with a letter from Mr Jobs himself, Apple didnt just reestablish it`s loyal fan base but also increased it manifolds. A very smart move IMHO.

So please dont think Apple will refund buyers of old iPhones anything et al. You just might get lucky if you try enough but nothing like the sort of 100$ rebate is going to happen this time.

14. galloway94 macrumors newbie

MacDaddy I did the same thing as you. I knew the new phone was coming out, but didnt want to wait for it. Mainly because I figured the 3g wasent that big of a deal and GPS wasent either. I had no Idea they would lower the price. After the fact I feel like I should have waited.

I purchased my iphone on May 10th and called ATT on June 9th after the announcement was made. I tried a bunch of different angles. First I wanted to be able to return my phone....that was a no. Next I asked if I could be a part of the group of people that bought their phones from may 27th and can return their phone and get the new phone before august 1st.....that was a no. I was able to get 100 credit to my account after everything was said and done. That was all they would do. Just call up and asked to be transfered to the "retention department". These guys/gals jobs are to keep customers happy who are thinking of leaving the company for another. Of course they may call your bluff (In which case hang up and try again!)