new iPhone - W-LAN N-Standard???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lars666, Jun 9, 2009.

1. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Hi everybody,

sorry if this was asked before, but I didn't found it: Was anywhere already mentioned, if the new iPhone is now able to log in to N-standard WLAN? Or is it still only G? Would appreciate a short answer. Thanks!!!

2. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

3. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

why would it suck? its only a phone.. its not as if you are going to download massive files off of it and whatnot.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Except that you can now download via wifi videos from the iTunes store. So yes, it would be / have been very useful to have seen 802.11n in the 3GS

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

+1

And even sitting right next to my router, the G speed is meh.

7. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

So how is 802.11n going to help with that exactly?

C.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if you are going to purchase videos off iTunes the most likely scenario is that you are at home, meaning you will use your computer. problem solved :)

9. alexboy45 macrumors regular

It will still have to go through some type of internet connection and that will be slower than what wireless G is. wireless N is only good if you are copying large amounts of data from a LAN. anything from the internet (especially in the uk) wireless B (11mbs) will will still be fast enough for most ADSL connections(3mbs).

Link

10. alexboy45 macrumors regular

you may be sitting to close:D

11. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's because I have N-only-WLAN at home because it is significantly faster in combination with my wireless hard disc and can't / don't want to switch all the time ... (old Time Capsule, not the new one which can use G and N together ...)

12. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Suggest you buy a cheap 802.11g access point and make a dual band network.
    An old Airport Express will work.

C.

13. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I own another Airport Express (even already the N-version) - however, how am I able to not slow down the whole N-speed with this solution? Are you sure that my wireless hard disk will still achive the the same transfer speed when doing as you've suggested?

14. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I guess it'll be the next gen then. Wireless sync could have been an option. Unless iPhone 3GS 's BT 2.1 is firmware upgradable to 3.0, then we'll have to wait a fair bit. Maybe they'll pimp the Touch out.

Is the figure you give real life or theoretical? ...
    Take your point DoFoT9, but isn't the point of wireless download on the iPhone for when you can't access your iTunes? :)

15. NightStorm macrumors 68000

You connect the Airport Express 802.11g via ethernet to the main router and configure it to allow connections to its wifi antenna. I don't remember the specifics as I haven't touched mine since I configured it when the original 802.11n Airport Extreme was released.

Works great; pure 5ghz 802.11n network for my AppleTVs and a separate 802.11g network for my other devices.

16. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

This is what you do:

Get an ethernet cable and connect one of the regular ethernet ports on your main base-station into the the single ethernet port on the Express.

Configure the Express as follows:
    Wireless Mode: Create a Wireless network
    Network Name: YOURNAME_G
    RadioMode: 802.11g only
    Security - whatever you use.

And in the internet Tab
    Connect using: Ethernet
    Connection Sharing: Off (Bridge Mode)

That should work fine.

You'll have two WLANs an 802.11n for new devices (run it at 5GHz for maximum speed)
    An 802.11g for legacy devices. (running at 2.4GHz)

And it will all work as one big network - with all devices able to see each other.

C.

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok well thats fair enough then i can understand that. the solution has been posted :)

using the 802.11n/g mode it will achieve a max of 150mbps, so around 20mBps, on pure n it will get around 35mBps. its not THAT much of a difference, not a lot of programs/videos etc will see any difference. a small price to pay IMO.

i guess what he means is that even the fastest internet connections (say ADSL2+ at 20mbps) arent going to max out 802.11G at 54mbps, and if you are transferring massive amounts of LAN data you should be on ethernet anyways

thats true, but if you cant access your iTunes then that would NORMALLY indicate that you arent at home, meaning you would be downloading over your carriers network at a massive 384kbps (max), hardly fast at all. if you dont have access to your iTunes though (say your in bed and too lazy to get up haha) i guess it would be a nice solution).

18. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info!!!

19. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Even though you can setup and manage a separate G router for your iPhones, it would be nice not to have to do it. I have been running multiple routers for almost a year now just so I can support my 2 iPones and not run mixed mode. All of my other equitment is now N (AppleTV, Laptops etc.). With new iPhone Hardware and the "S" = Speed I think N would have been a nice feature.

20. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Or go about it the easiest way and get a new dual band router....looks like my neighbor's are catching on to the dual band thing too...
    [​IMG]

21. alexboy45 macrumors regular

I am unsure what figure you mean? internet speed or wireless?

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i was under the impression that he meant average internet speeds??

23. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Why would you want N on the iPhone anyways? G is more than enough to support every internet connection. Until they open the phone up as a portable hard drive, I dont see a point.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Since the most demanding reasons, Sling and such, work fine under G I'm guessing its for that Jailbroken torrent app.