New iPhone will have some sort of NFC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, May 17, 2012.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Are there any rumors on the new iPhone having NFC? I would love to be able to tap my phone on a PayPass reader....yes for the coolness factor alone.

Also imagine just being able to give someone a picture or website link by tapping your iPhone on there's...like android beam

2. cynics macrumors G4

While not the same technology as android beam there is the app 'bump' that may help you share photos in a manner you'd like.

No telling whether Apple will incorporate NFC into the new iPhone. It seems pretty low on the rumored feature list. I'd like to see it too though. A lot of people claim its not popular enough but that's usually cause those people don't use it.

3. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

They have one. It's called Bluetooth 4.0 and it's included in every iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd gen). I don't think they need an "NFC" chip per se, when 4.0 could be much more easily implemented.

4. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Apple has been good on getting people to use features nobody used or liked in the past, like typing on a touchscreen, or voice commands.

5. matttye macrumors 601

Thanks for showing you have a massive misunderstanding about what NFC actually is.

NFC is very low power as it only detects and broadcasts other devices a few centimetres away. Because of the close proximity required, it is felt that to pair devices, no security measures are needed.

Finally, lots of things that support NFC such as touch to pay systems and posters will not work with Bluetooth 4.0, so it's not the same at all.

6. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

True, but Apple has also been equally good on ignoring features that many have used and liked in the past... as it took them years to implement MMS texting and copy/ paste and they still haven't added volume/ ringtone profiles.

Of course, if/ when Apple does do it, most will believe that they invented it.

7. Cander, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012

Cander macrumors 6502

That article is bunk because there is no POS systems infrastructure for purchases over Bluetooth 4.0 and it is under the misguided thinking that stores are just going to dump their current POS system infrastructures and buy Macs.

Edit: Think about it. With the logic that article is using, why not just say Apple will never put an LTE chip in the iPhone because, "SURPRISE!", it already has WiFi. And at least WiFi is ubiquitous, but it doesn't make that statement any less dumb.

8. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I don't know about your state, but most POS Systems here in quick service restaurants, as well as convenience stores here in Arizona have a PayPass reader which has the ability to read your NFC phones as well as PayPass cards.

9. Cander macrumors 6502

Talking about Bluetooth 4.0

10. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

While I would never use NFC to replace my payment methods, but the idea of using NFC for interaction with other phones and devices is a marvelous idea.

One way that Apple could use NFC in the iPhone and iPad is content transferring, but make it even more seamless, for example, placing the iPhone on top of the iPad automatically mirrors the iPhone's webpage on the iPad. Or if you wanted to share say, a photo, you could tap the share button, choose NFC, and just tap the iPhones. The other doesn't have to do anything.

I would enjoy an NFC phone.

11. matttye macrumors 601

That probably will happen, it wouldn't surprise me, as Apple has never worried about being pigheaded before. However, the world doesn't revolve around the iPhone.

NFC is already becoming the de-facto standard for mobile payments. The world isn't going to drop it and use bluetooth just because Apple says so.

Loads of other phones are coming out with NFC, and there are NFC bank cards, and lots of stores, vending machines etc that already have NFC implemented.

Wake up.

12. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I've heard NFC being speculated since the 3Gs. I don't think it will happen this time around, or possibly ever. I really am not getting the point of it. I don't see how/nor do I want a phone to replace my wallet. If they include it, great for those who want it but I won't use it.

13. Bhowell macrumors newbie

Definitely want it but there obviously needs to be the infrastructure in place for me to be able to truly leave my wallet at home.

14. kdarling, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Not replace. Augment. Same as credit cards not replacing cash, but are more convenient at times.

My relatives in Florida use their Android phones for NFC payments all the time at gas stations, quick marts and fast food joints. Even Home Depot takes it.

Especially handy for my daughter with a handful of baby in her arms. No need to dig through a purse too. She always has her phone handy though. She just taps and goes.

I do think it will replace many wallets... just as phones have replaced watches for many people... as soon as we can also carry our driver's license in our phone as well.

15. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Well now, .....that would be copying Android! Google might have to sue like those crybabies at Apple....lol

16. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I only use cash when I'm in the boondocks. I don't use a purse, nor do I understand why most women do. the 3 seconds NFC would save me just doesn't seem like a big deal I guess. Plus the infrastructure is not in place in the kind of places I frequent, except for one or two. Then again, I still wear a watch as well. I see all the points your bringing up and how they would be handy for some people. I just don't think it's for me. Why not just get a NFC compatible debit/credit card if you're going to have your wallet on you anyway?

17. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

Keep in mind that while NFC is NOT huge in the US, it is big overseas and the market for Apple is much bigger than our little backyard. Given how many iTunes accounts and CC details Apple has I can see them rolling out NFC and a Payment system in the future. I would like to see it in the upcoming iPhone but I'm not sure Apple will implement it this time, maybe next year.

The amount of competing standards and payment systems are just a joke. Ther are lots of CC's in use today and they all use the same basic magnetic strip and basic technology to read it. So why must NFC be and payment systems be all that different. There needs to be a standard and everyone who wants in should sign on.

I should be able to use my iTunes account, ISIS, CC company of choice, etc, etc.

18. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

How would you say it is not big in the US? I use PayPass pretty much everywhere, from the gas station, to Home Depot, to Walgreens, to CVS, to Best Buy...I find it nice, as I don't wear out the stripe on my card, and I don't even have to pull the card out of my wallet, I just tap the entire wallet and go. The only place I have to actually physically pull the card out are sit-down restaurants, and places where I am required to hand my card over to the clerk. Most places here in Arizona have a PayPass reader if you're allowed to swipe the card yourself vs. handing it to the clerk.

The only notable big exceptions are: Walmart, and Apple Stores. Apple Stores I solved by using the EasyPay option in the Apple Store app. Walmart, I still have to do things the old fashioned way, but at least their readers contain Chip & PIN functionality, so they are future proofed when the US gets Chip & PIN cards.

19. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

That must be exhausting....lol.