New iPhone with Delivery - When does it get activated?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikes63737, Jun 8, 2009.

1. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Obviously no one knows for sure just yet, but I was just wondering... I ordered a 3GS today. When it gets delivered, how does it get activated? Do we connect it to iTunes again (like the original), or does it get shipped active?

Does service get interrupted during the process?

2. Andruw91 macrumors regular

This is what I got in my email when I ordered the iphone 3g s

"iPhone Number & Activation - As soon as your iPhone ships, we'll send you additional information, including your phone number. Once you have your iPhone, activating and syncing it is simple. Just download the latest version of iTunes, connect to your computer, and iTunes will guide you through the next steps."

3. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

I would assume that it's going to be similar to the first iPhone. Just plug it into iTunes (with the new SIM card in it), it will recognize it then ask if you're a new or existing customer. If you're existing it should ask if you're replacing your current phone or adding a new line. Then ask for your current number, social, and all that good stuff.

But that's just an assumption.

4. jasphair macrumors member

And we all know what happens when we assume things, right?

5. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Just for you, I'll make sure it only makes an ass out of me and not you lol

6. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I bought an iPhone 3GS using a different line on my family plan. What do you all think will be the easiest way to make sure it works on my line? (I'm giving my current phone to the person whose eligibility I used for the 3GS).

7. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

even though you had to enter your carrier info when you ordered the phone, i dont think it's connected to your account in anyway yet so you may be okay.