New iPhone with Usage and standby time already

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by plchung, Sep 17, 2008.

1. plchung macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I just purchased a new iphone last night. But when I check the settings, it says the usage time is 6 hours 7 min and the standby time is 18 hours 12 min since last full charge. I've never charged my new iphone and is straight out from the box at ATT store. Does this mean that someone has used this iphone before? Should I go back to store and ask for a new one?

Thanks

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I'd return it - the timers should be zeroed at the factory IINM.

3. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

4. BlueRazor2 macrumors member

Wouldn't it also say how many times it has been reset or is there a way to clear the counter?

5. plchung thread starter macrumors newbie

i only see "Reset Statistics", but it only erases the Call time and network data, but the Usage and Standby time are still there.

6. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

7. plchung thread starter macrumors newbie

8. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

That is strange... and I guess you could return it if you want to... But if there is nothing wrong with it, why not just keep it rather than go through all the trouble?

9. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

10. plchung thread starter macrumors newbie

ya, the plastic wrapping was around the phone

11. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

There have been reports of this happening before. You did get a NEW phone (not a refurb.) They test the phones (randomly) at the factory for quality assurance, usually they reset them fully before packing them up, this one simply wasn't reset. If you are that concerned about it take it back to the AT&T store you got it from, they should swap it. But honestly, it really isn't something to worry about.

12. plchung thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you are right. I went back to AT&T. The manager told me that my iphone is probably one of the units that got tested at factory. So it sounds a good explanation to me.

The bad thing is that before the manager talks to me, they don't let me swap a new iphone and ask me to go to an Apple store to do it. Or if i cancel the line, they'll charge me 10% restocking fee. That kinda brothers me. What if they really give the customer a defective phone. Then the customer needs to go to apple to exchange it. I feel it's better to buy iphone at Apple store than reseller stores, like At&t or best-buy.

13. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

If your phone wouldn't turn on and you went back the same day, they would swap it for you. I got mine at launch and I got locked out (had to restore then dealt with the iTunes server crashing thing) so I took it back to AT&T. They said they would have just exchanged it on the spot if they still had any in the store. Unfortunately they didn't, so they personally called Apple to troubleshoot my phone to make it work again :).