New iPhone X designs yearly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appurushido, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Appurushido macrumors 6502

Well, now that the X is here, to overwhelmingly positive reviews, and some negative and or nit picky ones, I assume that Apple would change the design on a more frequent timeline. I wouldn't be surprised if it's yearly, 1.5yrs or even the old 2yr design change. Coming off of this article from 9to5Mac

https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/09/jony-ive-iphone-x-interview/

Johnny Ive said that next years iPhone will do things that this years X can't. Of course it's the same since the original iPhone and the yearly updates, but a fingerprint under the glass could be a game changer as well as a slew of other things. I assume the OLED version will continue to use the X to differentiate from the normal.

IMHO enjoy your device. Something bigger and better will always come out. There's always going to be the debate on whether or not you should get this version or wait for the next. Usually the second iteration of a new device is probably the best bet. That's why I waited until the first refresh of the newest MacBook Pro line. However, with the iPhone, I plan to upgrade whenever I feel it is necessary.

Anyone enjoying their new X like me? Or are you having buyers remorse, and plan to return and wait for the next years version?

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

You realize he was talking about software?

You assume they will "change" a design more frequently bc everyone likes it?

3. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Why would anyone have buyers remorse? The X is the best iPhone released, easily. There's always going to be something better coming. Enjoy the X this year and get what comes next, next year.

4. andyw715 macrumors 65816

Tactile feedback from the screen of 5/6/7/8 to use Touch ID is why its successful.

Take an X and activate the onscreen "Home" button under accessibility and see if you'd like to have to look at the screen each time just to press an imaginary button.
    That same glance will be processed by Face ID and you don't have to press anything (or find the area to rest your finger on).

That's why under screen Touch ID won't be implemented.

5. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

I am fairly sure he is talking about software and internals, not "design".

But...why do you think they add under screen Touch ID? It is completely unnecessary; and Apple has made it clear they see Face ID as the next step following Touch ID. If one sees the future as Face ID, it seems awfully regressive to focus on Touch ID...

Well, yes, there is always something new around the corner. Welcome to planned obsolescence. Absolutely no buyer's remorse. Just like I did not have buyer's remorse with any of my prior phones. Yes, a new X will be out next year, and I will still enjoy the one I have for one or two more years. I like tech, but I don't need to upgrade my tech, including my phones, every year personally (I understand why some do).

6. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

I second. Definitely no buyer remorse. The X is definitely the best iPhone in the iPhone history. Ignore all threads talking about returning iPhone X to the 8 plus.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but the fingerprint reader under an OLED display is not a reality with Apple anymore. Apple has stated multiple times that Face ID is their new future and it's likely to expand in to other products as well. They stated they Abandoned touch ID under the display for Face ID once it became functioning to their standards.

8. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Picking tick or tock models don't matter. Just enjoy whatever you like.

9. CiccioAtSea macrumors regular

CiccioAtSea

He was talking about iPhone X, not about next years phone:

Ive remarks in the interview that what he views as the best iPhone X feature is how it can adapt over time. He explains that the entire functionality of the device is determined by software – in large part thanks to the new screen-centric design. He even goes as far as to say that the iPhone X will look completely different in a year’s time as software progresses:

“I’ve always been fascinated by these products that are more general purpose. What I think is remarkable about the iPhone X is that its functionality is so determined by software. And because of the fluid nature of software, this product is going to change and evolve.

In 12 months’ time, this object will be able to do things that it can’t now. I think that is extraordinary. I think we will look back on it and see it as a very significant point in terms of the products we have been developing.”

10. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I don’t think he said anything like this product is going to look completely different in a years time. You started off right. Because it’s all screen, hardware is becoming less and less of a factor. Changes in software will be the main changes to the X line. That’s what I took from it.

11. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

A company known to use the iPhone 5-series design for three generations, the iPhone 6-series for four, reused iPod nano designs for two, and rarely updates their Mac and iPad in designs is now planning to go yearly on iPhone designs?

12. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

I don't think "look completely different" actually necessarily means in the literal physical appearance/design sense though. People often use that phrase colloquially, to state that "things are going to be different".