new iPhone4 home button doesn't work!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by eddi818, Jun 23, 2010.

1. eddi818 macrumors member

I got my brand new iphone today but the home button doesn't work!! I tried clicking it light, hard, in every possible angle, it is not responsive. I am trying to restore it right now but I'm not sure how much help will that be. Everything else is fine. I can call, text, surf. But i can't switch between those since I can't go back to home screen. I have to turn the phone off and restart it to get to home.

Anyone else is having this problem?

2. lazer310 macrumors member

I have a similar problem. If I leave the phone alone and locked for a period of time, when I push the home button, nothing happens. You call, nothing happens. Text, nothing.
    I tried holding down home and power, nothing happens.
    Connected to itunes, it says the phone is in recovery mode. Hold down home and power again until the apple logo comes up, and everything is normal. Until you lock it and leave it alone.
    Just now tried not even 10 minutes after locking it from the above procedure, and it is doing it again.

Anyone else having this issue?

3. csupinski macrumors member

csupinski

I don't have the exact same issue but my home button is not very responsive, I find that I have to push it relatively hard for it to register.

4. helvie1816 macrumors newbie

home button dead

waited in line 13hrs, phone worked great for a 1/2 day. next day, home button does not work at all. have to power down, when the phone is turned back on the voice control option pops up and it asks for a password.

apple is supposedly overnighting me a new phone, but charged my $604 until i return the old one.

pain in the ass

5. iPhone85 macrumors newbie

Home Button Problem

Hey,

I have the same problem. Mine stopped working a day after I got it. I got mine on the 23rd by mail and left town for the weekend on the 24th. It stopped working while I was out of town so i am taking it to an apple store tomorrow. I thought I was the only one having that problem. The home button does not work and when I do turn off and then on, the voice control sets on by itself. I will update tomorrow after my appt with Genius Bar.

Thanks

6. jngreen2010 macrumors newbie

I have the same issue with mine. Was it able to be fixed?

7. braddk macrumors newbie

My brand new iphone 4 home botten is also broken but only when the iphone is on!!!

when i turn of my iphone 4 using the power botten I can turn on the iphone by pressing the home botten but after that the home botten goes dead!

Anyone with a solution and Yes I've restored it 2 times now.

8. ritchey555, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

ritchey555 macrumors newbie

I've had the same issue for months now. The only thing that has worked so far (after reading some other forums) is to have your camera running in the back ground. It weirdly has fixed the issue....I haven't the slightest why?!?

***update***

This was short lived. It went back to not working. No clue. Good luck all.

9. magnetic macrumors newbie

same same

Hi from Norway. Bought my iPhone4 in november last year. Some weeks ago, the home button started to be unreliable, getting worse and worse until finally not reacting. I brought it to the store, they sent it to the repair shop. I got the message back the humidity indicator had been "knocked out" .Not covered by the guarantee. Unfixable. An unclear image of the indicator red light was supplied. I know for a fact that the iPhone has not been in abnormally wet conditions,I have wiped the screen with a damp cloth, and used it it in rainy wheather, but normally covered.. If that is enough to freak the iPhone it is the most vulnerable technology I have owned, and there should be a big warning about any humidity on any ads for the iPhone. Anybody else have similar experience?

10. Bensdad2 macrumors newbie

Just close some apps

I was having the same problem (funky home button) and was afraid it was hardware. On a whim (during one of the periods when it worked) I pressed the home button twice which showed which apps were open and running at the bottom if the screen. Turns out, every app I had used in the last month was running! So I closed all of them (by holding finger down on one of them until they started to wiggle and then touching the little minus sign on each one) and, mirabile dictu, the home button is now working like a champ.

Can't explain why this works, but it seems to; hope it works for you!

11. Shelleypg19 macrumors newbie

home button not working on iphone 4

I have this problem too. I have a ridiculous thing that I do sometimes that I found on another forum. It does sometimes help. Blow in the hole where you put your charger. I am sure it is pure superstition... but it does work sometimes.

12. Herbertlee macrumors newbie

Try this fix

1) Connect with USB cable to charge your iPhone4
    2) Hold Home button till Voice Control show up
    3) Now press Cancel and your Home button should be reactivate.

13. saadahmed786 macrumors newbie

sometimes you need to get a swab and dip it in rubbing alcohol and clean the metal part on the hardware were the home button makes contact. that usually fixes the problem.

let me know if that helps!

14. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Hmm so just went nuts blowing in it harmonica style (but more violently) and... yeah it's miraculously good... for the first 6 tests, anyway. Will probably end up replacing it the hard way, but this is a good tide-me-over. THANKS.

15. dqfayi macrumors regular

Sounds i'm the lukier. Because I have this problem too. Feel very ridiculous to meet this trouble. But when i power off and power on. It works as usual. Maybe you can try to deal with it in my way. Maybe it works too.:p

16. nreisdo macrumors newbie

I noticed this about two months after I received my new White Iphone 4 in April. It seems to happen when my phone gets hot, either from steaming video or the weather. The problem is it comes and goes and I'm afraid if I send it in they will send it back because it is working at that time. I did notice that if I put the phone in a cool place for some time it starts working again, but this can be dangerous if they refuse to fix it due to moisture from quick temperature changes.

17. rgphilly macrumors newbie

Home Button

I bought my iPhone 4 in February and the last month or so the home button has been unresponsive at times. I decided to call Verizon and they know of the problem and replaced my phone without hesitation.

18. bensalu macrumors newbie

I had exactly the same problem as all you guys it got so bad i could not use it ended up getting the home button replaced now it is perfect there is instructions online ifixit site.

19. FariborzGh macrumors newbie

Hi, same issue here.

I realized the home button stops working when it is unplugged from the source (i.e. either laptop, computer or electricity plug).

20. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Prior to buying my 4S, Apple replaced four iPhone 4's in the course of a year. All had home button failures. It's well documented in the forum that this is a widespread problem that was not adressed by Apple other than to give out thousands of replacement phones.

It appears to be as simple as using a cheaper button to further increase Apples profit on a per unit basis. It's the first mass failing of home buttons on any iPhone model. Every year since day one, the iPhones I've purchase and used heavily were able to withstand day to day use no problem.

Why Apples so emotionally attached to a stupid mechanical button is beyond me. Their expertise with touch screens goes ignored just when they need it most. The touch sensitive buttons on my SGS II work brilliantly. Apple should do the same. Pity their so fickle.

21. Zxxv macrumors 68040

You can always switch on assitive touch in settings/accessibility for a touch screen button that you can sling around the screen.

22. Fam macrumors newbie

menu button does not respoond

my iphone4 was great but as i updated some apps n purchased more apps, it seems the fon is overloaded so the menu/home key sensitivity is affected..
    my menu key doesnt respond when in sleep mode till i press the sleep/wake button to unlock, n whenever i am at a particular page or application, i cant switch to ghome menu cuz the home key doesnt respond no matter how soft or hard u press... anyone can help?? i just upgraded to ios5 few days ago.
    thx

23. vdw macrumors newbie

Thanks Herbertlee - your fix worked!

I was skeptical but tried what Herbertlee suggested, and my phone home button works again.

Thanks!

24. GaryPro macrumors newbie

herbertlee, thanks it works!

25. troyke macrumors newbie

home button problem!

my home button doesn't work but when i turn off my iphone 3gs and turn it back on the first thing that i see is the 'voice over'.. then i push cancel and my code for entering.. but still my home button doesn't work :(

someone an idea?

thanks