New iPhone5s won't Bluetooth sync to iMac

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by magilla, Mar 11, 2014.

1. magilla, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014

magilla macrumors regular

New iPhone 5s purchased last Thursday & can't get it to sync with late 2011 iMac (10.6.8)

Tried disconnecting the supplied Thunderbolt->USB cable and tried all the different USB ports on the iMac with no luck.

Cable works to charge the phone so I assume it's ok.

iTunes doesn't automatically open up and when i DO open it manually, no mention is made of a connected iPhone.

iPhone Settings->Bluetooth IS set to "On." iPhone, once connected says "Trust this computer?" and I hit trust.

I went to the Bluetooth System Preferences and started through the proceedure. iMac detects the iPhone but says "iPhone NOT connected" with "On" and "discoverable" blocks checked.

I click "setup Bluetooth device" and iMac shows searching for bluetooth devices. Takes about 1 minute for "iPhone - Smartphone" to show up. I click "continue" & "Attempting to pair with iPhone" then the sync code being sent to my iPhone. Phone shows same code and asks if I want to continue. Press continue - wait a few seconds - phone responds "Bluetooth pairing request" with same code and I hit "Pair" but seconds later (maybe 1-2) "Pairing unsuccessful" is displayed.

Anyone tell an old guy what I'm doing wrong?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I am not aware that one can wireless sync with BT, unless there is a latest IOS update that can.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The only thing an iOS device can do with a computer via Bluetooth is tether. If you want to do wireless syncing with iTunes, both devices must be on the same network. For the iOS device, it must be on a WiFi network.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

That's Leopard right. I think wireless sync wants something more recent.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is Snow Leopard. iOS' WiFi sync is supported on 10.6.8/Snow Leopard.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bluetooth is very limited on the iphone and you can only do a few things like Intell mentioned above.
    Syncing with itunes or with your Mac is not supported.